Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden - the Republic of Almagest

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I love the balanced density of detail, it looks so natural and real. Another fantastic piece

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Another excellent one Vorro!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Awe-inspiring stuff! Your attention to detail is astonishing. I'm so impressed with what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    I love the balanced density of detail, it looks so natural and real. Another fantastic piece
    thanks for the comments - sometimes i do get discouraged when I'm neck-deep in labeling and doing icons and such, but once the map's 'done' (i use parenthesis as they're never really done - I've added and changed tuff to all of the so-called complete maps since uploading them) and i look back at it I'm generally quite satisfied with it, if a bit exhausted

This is absolutely fantastic. Your submission of this to /r/worldbuilding inspired me to check out this forum.

Can you talk about your geographic inspirations when making a detailed map like this? Do you let Photoshop do the randomization? How much detail do you explicitly put in?

This looks like it came out of a real atlas - terrific job! I like all the little icons and details.

Actually, out of all the little details, I think I like that you have two competing distance scales most of all.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This looks like it came out of a real atlas - terrific job! I like all the little icons and details.

Actually, out of all the little details, I think I like that you have two competing distance scales most of all.
    thanks yeah, apart from the fact that most atlases still have distances in miles and kilometers, a lot of old 'colonial time' maps have different versions of miles, which i thought might be a good touch to pinch

Quote Originally Posted by aeroy View Post
    This is absolutely fantastic. Your submission of this to /r/worldbuilding inspired me to check out this forum.

Can you talk about your geographic inspirations when making a detailed map like this? Do you let Photoshop do the randomization? How much detail do you explicitly put in?
    thanks, well, there's very little that's random actually (im guessing you mean something like clouds and then filters to make the mountains?) The maps I;ve done so far already existed in other forms - generally more fantasy-style maps - so i just used those maps as a base for where the mountains would be as so on. Other than that, I do everything one layer at a time.

Blog Entries

Excellent result Nate, as usual!

P.S.
    Just a nonsense, but I noticed a very slightly lighter colored rectangular area in the NW corner of the map.
    I wonder if that is just an unwanted effect?
    Last edited by AzurePlanet; 05-06-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Excellent result Nate, as usual!

P.S.
    Just a nonsense, but I noticed a very slightly lighter colored rectangular area in the NW corner of the map.
    I wonder if that is just an unwanted effect?
    No actually that's a placeholder for when I get round to doing the city map, which I'll paste over it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    No actually that's a placeholder for when I get round to doing the city map, which I'll paste over it
    Oh... I'm always more and more impressed by your mapping management!

Wow, easy to ready and understand, yet still beautiful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast