Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d Vaeya, 2d's showing part of the Arkaeyan Rim

Wow, great work on this! Looking forward to see your next steps!

Thank you Daniel, Lingon and Ilanthar. What a great day, getting recognition from such artists!

I'll share how I have tested it Lingon: I use acrylic Phthalo blue as the dark coat, great for showing depth. The phthalo covers over this light blue quite well, usually only 2 coats to get a desirable fade. I use an exacto knife to scrape off excess paint and to control how the beginning of the fade will look by how I position the light blue. This just takes careful technique, application and time. Filling in the continents alone was so time consuming and exhausting that I had to take a year off of the project to "recuperate" my love of the project. That is where these forums come in, bring on the inspiration!

Oh and I'll try the picture technique, Though I was thinking of having a video showing the rotation of the planet. I have been toying with a few ideas for interesting rotations and orbits, who knows. Also I'd like to state that this is not just a bunch of continents featuring mountains and rivers, this whole planet has about 8 years worth of innovative creativity combined with scientific research. I've designed an alternative reality, inspired by this reality, in which the laws of physics are actually partially "magic" like. Continents on this planet are the way they are for very many historical reasons, as the elemental consciousnesses have from time to time gone to war to reshape the face of the planet. All this history is naturally forgotten, it is up to the players to reconstruct their own version of events from the designed geology of the world. Call this a game mechanic that requires use of the scientific method, a powerful reason to encourage exploration and this is an innovation on current game mechanics. This game is not the game for today, it is the game of tomorrow.

Vigilus - this is just awesome.
    This is something I've wanted to do for a long time.
    Great to see your process, which looks like it is coming along really well.
    So looking forward to more updates.

This is really cool! I too am very much looking forward to watching this project progress.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you J.Edward and Arsheesh! Been working on some finishing design elements then I think I'm going to be ready to do some full scale painting, coming soon!
    Last edited by Vigilus; 05-06-2016 at 06:49 PM.

So here is a nice arial perspective of the 2d work I have done so far:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	83453
    Last edited by Vigilus; 05-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Sounds like you know what you're doing with those blues then! It's a really cool project, very impressive work so far, looking forward to more!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    So here is a nice arial perspective of the 2d work I have done so far:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	83453
    Holy cow... I'm made some big maps before but that blows them all out of the water.
    Massive project Vigilus and very very ambitious.
    I love it. I worked ona world for a few years doing some large maps but never quite so thorough.
    I did eventually start doing it as a grid of paper. I'd scan them individually and then tape the originals together into a big map.
    Not sure where those are atm.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Wow! Amazing work here. I'm glad you are actively working on this as I love seeing the progression of worlds. This map is definitely a labor of love and it shows! I'll be watching this one quite a bit!

Wow, just incredible. It blows me away... looking forward very much to the final product?

How much do you think is remaining?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast