Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashford Castle Hotel and Resort

All I can say (again) is wow!!

I'm slightly familiar with this hotel through my old job. Not that I ever stayed there, as it's just a teeny bit out of my budget(!) but I knew of it. What an amazing job you've done! I don't even want to speculate how difficult it must have been working from old maps, photographs and satellite imagery. My hat goes off to you. It's fantastic!

Can't rep. You're obviously doing too many good things. What an awful problem to have!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

What everyone else said, incredible, stunning... and so many trees! How did you do that in four weeks??

Isn't funny how we prefer art to a real, satellite photo of the real thing for maps..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    J. This is amazing!!! It's beautiful, easy to read and find what you are looking for, it's inviting, and makes me want to go there and see the actual place. I'm assuming this map is on a brochure of the castle and resort? So that guests can find the different areas of the resort they may wish to visit? I love how you portrayed the golf courses and the tennis courts!

It's quite realistic, as it should be, but at the same time, if you changed an element here and there, it would make a fantastic battle map! I could see it quite easily being adapted for a fantasy game. Excellent work!
    Thanks so much ladiestorm That's exactly what their purpose was for the map.
    Hopefully the guests will enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Well, this is really huge! real map are hard to make indeed, but you did it really well! Don't know exactly where to start, since all the details are gorgeous: the buildings, the golf course, the trees.. oh my dear so many trees!!!
    This is a big point for your portfolio! Bravo!
    Thanks Tom Yes, the trees... I thought they would never end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    That's amazing!
    Trying to think of more things to say but nope, drawing a blank, it's just so stunning
    Thanks Lingon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Can't rep you but very pretty, as expected!
    Thank you Larb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Amazing work.Cool that you got a commission from a castle owner. It looks awesome!
    Thanks Tony. Yes, I was so happy about that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Awesome work JEdward!!
    Thanks Bogie.
    Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    Saw you put this on fb. Great work!
    Thanks Nate.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Fantastic! It's even more impressive given the constraints you were working under. Very well done sir. Wish I could rep you for it but it appears I'm still tapped.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh. No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I can't help myself but add my "awesome"! Such a wonderful map! The perspective is indeed unusual, but it makes me think of the kind you find on those big touristic panels.
    Thanks Ilanthar. Yes, they had me draw certain things larger than they actually are, which contributes to that look and feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    All I can say (again) is wow!!

I'm slightly familiar with this hotel through my old job. Not that I ever stayed there, as it's just a teeny bit out of my budget(!) but I knew of it. What an amazing job you've done! I don't even want to speculate how difficult it must have been working from old maps, photographs and satellite imagery. My hat goes off to you. It's fantastic!

Can't rep. You're obviously doing too many good things. What an awful problem to have!
    Thanks ChickPea. There's an interesting story that goes with this...
    Years ago I had spent some time in Ireland and had driven around in this area. I was trying to find this castle while in driving. This was maybe 2000 or so. All I had was an old atlas and the location of the castle wasn't real specific. So I made it to Cong and wandered around the old abbey and the town but couldn't find the castle.
    Then many years later I get this commission out of the blue to do that very castle. Needless to say I now know much more about the castle and could find it in my sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    What everyone else said, incredible, stunning... and so many trees! How did you do that in four weeks??
    Isn't funny how we prefer art to a real, satellite photo of the real thing for maps..
    Thanks Josiah. I worked a lot of long hours for those weeks to get it done in time. Was not an easy thing.
    It's true. Drawing a thing, even somewhat realistically still has an edge on satellite imagery.
    Partly because we can highlight and change subtle parts and make it more interesting.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Fantastic piece. It shows a lot of dedication.

Woooooooooow! *thumbs up* How long did it take?
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Fantastic piece. It shows a lot of dedication.
    Thanks Sap Yeah, it was a long process.
    Two weeks just on trees. Sore hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    Woooooooooow! *thumbs up* How long did it take?
    Thanks Obbe
    Easily over 100 hours.
    It was something like 6-12 hours per day, 5-6 days per week for 4 weeks.
    Part of that time was spent in research and collecting images, plus some edits and redrawing of parts that had changed and I was not told of.
    It was definitely a long process crammed into a short time.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

This is a great map J! I took a brief look at it on FB the other day, but didn't get a real chance to admire it. At first glance you think "yeah, this is a pretty decent looking map", but then you see all the little details in there and all the close-ups and are just blown away!

Really fantastic work!

Also, sorry I would rep you, but it seems you've been producing too many great maps at the mo!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dang, man. That is one fantastic piece of work. I think the most impressive thing to me is that you managed to keep the perspective the same across this entire beast. Kudos, sir.

This map is amazing! Great work J!

Sorry can't rep you again so soon, but incredible piece once again, you just keep pushing that envelope, Your work recently really works perfect for these types of specific setting, great job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast