Thread: Greetings and Salutations

Default Greetings and Salutations

Hi there.

I've always loved maps and hope to get some pointers for making my own for the game I'm making.

If anyone has any suggestions how I could show a solar system (kinda) in a medieval way, th st would be a massive help.

Pip pip

Welcome to the guild!

Solar system in a medieval way, I regret to say I have no pointers..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Mmmm... I would suggest you to do a little bit of research on astronomy during medieval age.
    I do have to ask you, do you plan on representing the constellations or the religious representation of the earth among the other planets? A view from the earth at the center, or from the ground as if gazing at the constellations?

Once I get back home I will try to do some research and post some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    Mmmm... I would suggest you to do a little bit of research on astronomy during medieval age.
    I do have to ask you, do you plan on representing the constellations or the religious representation of the earth among the other planets? A view from the earth at the center, or from the ground as if gazing at the constellations?

Once I get back home I will try to do some research and post some suggestions.

It is for a fantasy type game I'm inspired by the maps that Sion, had there country much larger than their neighbours. But even finding those maps has proved difficult.

It's an isolated system so only other orbital spheres are visible

Okay, honestly I never heard about Sion, so I do not know how do you imagine a solar system representation. I would say that you should at least decide several details and build on that. Like in archaeology, we always go from the known to the unknown.

For instance, will it be a map that is not accurate because it places the earth in the center and will it be influenced by some beliefs? If yes then you may think of what symbolism you could put in the sky.

To be honest, I never did those kind of maps so I cannot really suggest you anything if not to read about astronomers. You may find interesting also the description of the celestial sphere by the Babylonians or the Egyptians. (Though it will be more like from a ground observer rather than the solar system). As for the solar system, okay, this is more about Renaissance but Johannes Kepler, Tycho Brahée may be of inspiration. Especially the last one for he believed that the sun and the moon were orbiting around the earth but that the rest of the planets where going around the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    Okay, honestly I never heard about Sion, so I do not know how do you imagine a solar system representation. I would say that you should at least decide several details and build on that. Like in archaeology, we always go from the known to the unknown.

For instance, will it be a map that is not accurate because it places the earth in the center and will it be influenced by some beliefs? If yes then you may think of what symbolism you could put in the sky.

To be honest, I never did those kind of maps so I cannot really suggest you anything if not to read about astronomers. You may find interesting also the description of the celestial sphere by the Babylonians or the Egyptians. (Though it will be more like from a ground observer rather than the solar system). As for the solar system, okay, this is more about Renaissance but Johannes Kepler, Tycho Brahée may be of inspiration. Especially the last one for he believed that the sun and the moon were orbiting around the earth but that the rest of the planets where going around the sun.
    That's a really interesting point. , it will place a certain sphere in the middle as that's most important. I think that is a good starting point. Now I do want it to be stylized. So I'll knock up a concept and I hope you guys will give me some pointers.

Thank you for the replies seems I have lots of research ahead of me.

I should point out its not our solar system though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - and agreed, stylized seems like the way to go with a map like that - looking forward to seeing what you come up with
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise