Thread: New to map making but willing to learn

Guild Applicant

Link New to map making but willing to learn

Hello everybody. I have joined the guild with the idea of drawing a map for my latest book. If I fail I may need to ask others to help and maybe even commission a map. But first of all I am going to try and draw my own.

My latest book is a Steampunk, paranormal erotic romance with a cast of characters that includes werewolves, dragons, dragonriders, magicians and automatons to name but a few. I also have the area mapped out in my head and also a basic plan drawn up to refer to. The book is the first in a series, therefore further maps will be added and elaborated as time goes by. I have the names of many of the cities that are featured in the first book and also a number of the towns and cities that will appear in future stories. I have named the mountain ranges and lakes there too.

I have always loved to read books that include a detailed map so this is why I feel I have to include one in the paperback version of my book.

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ20D2"]

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, Scarlett, if tou want to learn about mapping, this IS THE place to do it. We are a friendly bunch and we all love helping people learn The Ways. We have a tutorial section if you want some guidance on techniques, a WIP (Work In Progress) section for when you start your mapping journey. The WIPs are a great place to get some friendly and constructive critique and advice, as well as questions answered that you have along the way.

Don't be shy, we do not bite.

At least MOSTof us...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Applicant

Thanks so much for the lovely welcome Korash. I have gimp already on my computer so going to give that a try and look at the other software out there.

Welcome Scarlet.

Just give you some time to refine your drawing skills. I too am mapmaking for a book, and I believe I spent more time mapmaking than writting actually x_x... An advice I could give you, try to have a detailed timeline for the past, it may give you some ideas of what kind of geographical features you would like to have in your world.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - and a good book deserves a good map as well - helps set the world in peoples minds. Looking forward to seeing you work on yours
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Applicant

Thanks Elterio

I am going to see if I can sort the first map out soon and I have pictures in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettFlame2 View Post
    Thanks Elterio

I am going to see if I can sort the first map out soon and I have pictures in this book.
    In my humble point of view, since thsi is your first map, keep yourself some space for future ideas. When I redraw, I often tend to put more détails, but often détails will be the fruit of your world more than your cartography. On the other hand, don't go writting too much of your book right away! For redrawing will also give you ideas for you book. It is a mutual kind of thing if you get what I mean. Work on the book for the map and on the map for the book.