Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Six maps open for critics and comments :)

Just to say that I will be posting in the coming days another map, the area just west of the previous map I posted. Need to finish the forests. still need to figure out how to draw the roads and all but will get on it eventualy.
    Ah well, here is an update anyways.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	88134
    Last edited by Elterio Delgard; 10-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

From what I can see in the photo, this looks to be shaping into a beautiful map, Elterio.

Well! Here is a scanned update of my main map, the Kastosian map as I like to call it. I added the roads but I don't think I will be able to add by hand some borders, will have to do it on the computer, a little bit to cramped with details for that in certain areas...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kastos 7.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,012.2 KB 
ID:	88476

Two words: hand cramp!

LOL it looks great though! I wish I could hand draw like that.

Thanks! Yes, it does take much time to draw the trees and the mountains.

A very beautiful map, one of the best handdrawn maps I've seen so far. At first sight I thought the mountains were done with a computer brush as they look very similar. That you're able to do that by hand is impressive.
    I wonder if you only mapped the biggest roads as there are rather few of them and even big cities aren't connected, which seems unlogical. What's that chain of triangles connecting the mainland with the island in the southeast?

The chain of triangles are sharp stones coming out of the water. In that world of mine you have them every here and there.

As for the roads, I am only drawing the main roads, otherwise you would lots of roads and also keep in mind that if I draw some roads that are important enough to appear on the map, they will also require lots of work to keep in good condition. You can't just make a cobblestone road and leave it like that :/. But thanks for your comments Eld!

Greetings! Been a while I know, but I have been nothing if not iddle. Well, truth be told, there were times of no activity from my part. But that is but some trivial detail. Most importantly, I am almost done with my third version of the Northern Continent of Evozen.
    Those are photos from my Ipad so don't expect good resolution. Anyways,here goes.

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	95570

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	95571

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	95572

Now this is the part I need to be working on. By connecting my sheets together, it made me realise one thing... Drawing at the junction area between two maps is crucial but hard. However, I cannot go on drawing without a whole picture in my head of the continent, otherwise I am bound to make some unlogical features. Now... Here is a picture of such a junction I am talking of.

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	95574

I am thinking of having some grassy plains, and maybe some grassland covering much of the region. My thinking might be wrong, but having some big mountain chain to the east, and the coast being far to the west would make it weird to have some dense woodlands unless there are some big rivers. Taking also in account that winds will be coming from the west with rain clouds to give some showers on the moutain tops, the source of water will therefore not be from lakes but from the east. I therefore have a blank spot (for now).

Hi there. Great work you've done here, and quite ambitious. Congrats and have some rep!

Concerning your "blank spot". It all comes down to latitude, really:
    - If close to the equator, then you will definitely have to include some rivers as that area seems to be large enough to sustain its own convective centers, meaning it will rain and a lot and you will have tropical forest (think Amazon basin or Congo Basin).
    - Further north (or south) but before the tropics (roughly 23º N/S) it will be savannah, without significant rivers (since it's away from the coasts and shielded by mountains on both east and west).
    - Close to the tropics and poleward, that will surely be a desert, a hot and dry desert, be it sandy or rocky.
    - Above that, forest - sparse, trees are deciduous and adapted to dry spells, then grassland, then forest - mixed, then forest conifers only, then tundra, then permament ice.

Looking at where it lies in the overall map, and assuming north is up, I'd go for the equatorial or tropical choices, depending on where you want your deserts.

Bottom line is... what's the latitude scale?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast