Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Six maps open for critics and comments :)

Well, here are some photos, not good resolution but at least you will be able to see the whole of my continent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	99276

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	99277

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	99278
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Now... DON'T LAUGH!!! But before moving on the 26th of August, I scanned all the pages! Only to discover they didn't upload on my usb key, AND THAT I ALSO FORGOT ONE PAGE AT HOME! x.X which is why you have an empty page...
    Here is another inage, modified with paint, so I could put more emphasis on the rivers.

Name:	climates.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	99279

Mmmm... I need to work on:
    1-Climates.
    2-Sea and wind currents.
    3-Distributing vegetation
    4-finishing drawing of course.
    5-Ugh... Figure out the size of the planet and what I should do about the poles... This will be tricky.
    6-Establishing a grid, like the lattitudes and such

So far, since 1cm=50 miles, my continent, from top to bottom, is 11315miles, where as in comparison, we have 7305 miles from the top of Norway to the bottom of Africa.

Now thats a little problematic cause it means my continent of evozen is huge, maybe too huge. Well, I guess I could always have a planet bigger than Earth... Or I could just tiny icy poles but that woud be weird... Urgh.... Any suggestions on that one?
    5.1: Should I avoid having a bigger planet?
    5.2: Is it good or not to aim at having a planet of the same size in order to stay credible, at least in appearance.
    5.3: Should I squeeze maybe the center?

That's impressive seeing them all together like that.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

THIS-IS-BRUTAL ! (and sorry for the capitals) Impressive job !

Thanks both of you. Anyone knows enough in natural science to share some knowledge on what would happen if a planet didn't have any north pole or atlantic pole? Also, erm... I am planning soon to update this thread with the equator, I have fixed it. Next step will be like I said in the previous post of mine.

Very impressive map collection. I've simply no idea how you work them out in your head to be able to draw one thing on lots of different pieces of paper like that and make it work so well. I always have to have everything on the same sheet so that I can see the whole of it at a glance.

Onto the science question...

By no poles do you mean no magnetic poles?

I'm not a qualified scientist of any kind (unless you count Biology A level), but I think you might be in a spot of bother with no electromagnetic field in a real planet, since on Earth at least I remember a documentary explaining how its the only thing deflecting the solar rays sufficiently to keep the atmosphere from being eroded away into space - by solar ray bombardment. The same documentary suggested that Mars's very weak field (due to the planet being smaller and cooling a lot faster than the Earth - the core solidifying sooner than ours and the electromagnetic field consequently failing) may be why it has only a very thin atmosphere today.

Mmmm maybe I didn't use the correct words.

In french we call them: Pole nord, pole sud.

Its the ice cap you have at the top north and bottom south.

Oh, so you are talking about the ice, not the electromagnetic field?

The ice at the Earth's poles stabilises the oceanic/atmospheric temperature, keeping them a lot cooler than they would otherwise be (that's another memory snippet from another documentary). Without the ice at the poles the atmosphere and oceans would be much hotter and much less stable.

You could say they are a bit like the ice cubes keeping our drink cool
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-15-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Or I could just tiny icy poles but that woud be weird... Urgh.... Any suggestions on that one?
    Poles on Earth did not always had ice. There was a time when pine forests covered Antarctica.
    Ice is not mandatory at the poles.

5.1: Should I avoid having a bigger planet?
    No but you should be aware that a larger planet means higher gravity and possibly other things.
    You could avoid the problem by changing the density of the planet by having less dense material inside. But I'm not sure what you can change.

Maybe you could adjust the scale a little and pretend the continent is smaller? America is about 9500 miles from top to bottom. Not sure why you still use that old imperial system...

Anyone knows enough in natural science to share some knowledge on what would happen if a planet didn't have any north pole or atlantic pole?
    I presume you mean no ice at the poles? A few things:

It changes the region's albedo, or the quantity of light reflected back to space. More is absorbed and the difference in temperatures is smaller with the middle latitudes.
    Summers become warmer and winter also a little I think. But the effect is less because it's dark in winter anyway.
    This smaller difference in temperature result in a weakening of the jet stream and mess with the weather pattern between the tropics and the polar circle.
    Impact of climate might be much smaller tough. Expect to have to have more extreme weather such as flooding and drought. Because weather systems tend to jam over large region for a longer period of time.

No ice at poles also mean no cold water input in these regions.
    The biggest impact will be Newfoundland climate... I mean general water circulation pattern. Cold water tends to be heavier and saltier if I recall correctly.
    It play a role but it is poorly understood.

Lastly, trading will be possible in these region. Very useful.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast