Thread: World of Helevos: Dieppe Map style

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Wip World of Helevos: Dieppe Map style

Bit of a slow week so I'm getting up to date with my mapping

I already posted a modern style map of my Helevos world, this is a more contemporary in-world map. To the people living on the isolated continent of Anasthias and its islands of the "Civilised World", the rest of the world is barely known, distant, alien and frightening.

It's in the style of the 16th century Dieppe Maps, with some medieval monsters thrown in. I'm not entirely happy with it yet, suggestions and comments gratefully received!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helevos dieppe style.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	83785

Super cool! It really does look like at old map.

Still can't rep you..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wow, this is looking great! I love old maps and this is awesome. I'm absolutely loving those decorative elements and foliage around the globes.

Also, I can't help but laugh at "Isles of Agony" and "Jungles of Despair". Well that's my next holiday destination sorted. Not.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Still can't rep you..
    I know I should've waited a while, I'm being too keen at the moment but thanks for the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I can't help but laugh at "Isles of Agony" and "Jungles of Despair". Well that's my next holiday destination sorted. Not.
    I recommend a skiing holiday in the Mountains of Pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    I know I should've waited a while, I'm being too keen at the moment but thanks for the thought!
    Ah, well. I'll try to come back to this thread in a bit to rep you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Mmmmm.... This strikes my imagination. a lone continent in the middle of a "closed ocean" (don't know how else to call it). And yet, you have another sea, much smaller but at the opposite. Looks like a dangerous place indeed! How can I explain how I see this... It is as if you had the Garden of Eden in the middle of a dangerous and chaotic sea, which in turn is surrounded by vast beyond imagination jungle and desert where threats are even deadlier! And as if it is not yet enough! Yes! Not enough! O_o Oh my goodness... There lies a lone sea (as if it was the inversed reflection!) with small islands at the center. Goodness... Not even in Babylonian or Egyptian mythology stories have I seen something as this!

Allow me to modify a saying we have in french in my region of Saguenay, it's "écoeurant"! It's disgustingly fascinating! Well, it does not ring well when I say it so let me just explain... I am AMAZED! Simply amazed by the concept you have there! Robulous! You should definitely write a book with that universe of yours! It's one of a kind!

Ah ok the other map now makes a lot more sense to me in context. Very nice concept going on here.

Thanks for the rep, much appreciated! Actually I posted a modern atlas-style map here as WIP but never got round to submitting it as finished, must do that asap. I'm also working on a 1930s style map of Anasthias showing all the nations in more detail.

Guild Expert

This is awesome Robulous! I really like all the drawings around the map, really good job on the sea monsters too.

Rob, another very cool map. I didn't realize that this style map had a "name" (Dieppe) though I should have.