Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Mapping Challenge: Merydyan

Post May/June Lite Mapping Challenge: Merydyan

Old Trystan looked out of his window, staring off into the mountains east of his tower home. He tasted the wind whistling through the stones of his workroom, then drew a sharp intake of breath. There was a sleeping malice[ building in the north east; a cloying force long dormant, but stirring...

"It's happening again," He thought as he turned away from the window. He slowly let out the breath he didn't realize he'd been holding, and shook his head. He surveyed his workroom, taking quick stock of the supplies he would need. In fifteen days time he would need to perform the ritual he thought he would never perform again... the ritual to preserve his life for yet another century. His heart ached at the realization, but what could he do? He was the last of his kind, the only surviving member of the Order Protectorate, and, once again, he had a job to do...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merydyanlrg.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	83788

So I had some ideas on how to overcome some of the criteria for this map. I've only just started, and this is what I have so far I hope you enjoy the process of discovery, as I will probably be discovering some new ways of doing things with this map.
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 05-23-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Your mountains and your volcano are great!!

@fol2dol - thanks It's the Herman Weilink style for cc3+. I like the style, it's dark and brooding nature seems to fit the criteria. So here's the next bit:

Trystan pulled his sadle and tack off the wall of his workroom went back to the window. He leaned out, uttering a subtle enchantment, then smiled sadly as it settled into the whispering wind. He nodded in satisfaction, then turned, and headed for the door. He wandered down the winding staircase of his tower, pausing at his bedchamber to grab his satchel and pack, then headed to the library to pick up the books and scrolls he would need. He hurried now, Ebony would soon be arriving; she didn't like to wait, and there was a few more things yet to do.

Trystan made his way to bottom floor, settling his satchel on his shoulder, his pack on his back. Snatching his cloak off the peg in one hand, and taking up his staff in the other, he opened up the door and stepped out beneath the predawn sky. He swung the cloak onto his shoulders, fastening the brooch. He set the wizard locks to his haven, then, as he heard the sound of hooves approaching, he raised his staff. Calling out the incantations as his staff circled the air above him, he drew in the magic from the molten energy that surrounded his tower. He knew he would need all the energy he could hold in the days and weeks ahead. He finished as the glossy black steed picked her way across the molten rockbed, and came to stand before him.

"Hello, Ebony, my old friend. It appears we are needed once more. Are you ready for the task at hand? It won't be easy."

The wild mare nodded her head, then nuzzled his hand. Sugar cubes appeared in his hand and she took them daintily, allowing him to saddle, then mount her. He patted her neck as the bridal settled into place, then leaned it to whisper "we must be as the wind, my dear. What we face has already begun."

Ebony nodded once, whineyed her agreement and galloped off into the dawn, her hooves barely touching barely touching the ground....

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merydyan02lrg.PNG 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	83789
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 05-20-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Great start, I like those mountains a lot also. One issue, ( which you may already be working on ) do something with the lake around the mountains so it looks like separate lakes not like you dropped some mountains on a single large lake.

I noticed that, will be working on it
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Nice so far!

Is that crater just a bunch of tiny mountains with a lava texture or something inside?...

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Lol... Close, it's a molten rock bitmap with volcanic rock surrounding it to simulate a crater. It was the only way I could make a crater 100 miles wide, and be able to put a tower in the middle. I plan to do an edge fade to it, plus a few.other things if I can find the symbol I'm looking for.

Sometime you have to get creative...
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Lol... Close, it's a molten rock bitmap with volcanic rock surrounding it to simulate a crater. It was the only way I could make a crater 100 miles wide, and be able to put a tower in the middle. I plan to do an edge fade to it, plus a few.other things if I can find the symbol I'm looking for.

Sometime you have to get creative...
    Looks quite good. It's good to get creative!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Like I said before... I have to work with what I've got!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    if I can find the symbol I'm looking for.
    What symbol is that?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast