Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning the climate and ecosystem (WIP)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suite B2 001.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	923.6 KB 
ID:	89686
    This was another alternative that didn't work because the result of the coastline was not good.
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Concerning your lakes, I'm not a expert, but I think there are many explanations. A natural basin where all the nearby rivers are pouring is the best explanation, and this basin could have been the result of an now-disappeared icy cap, erosion of a soil more fragile than the surrounding lands, and probably other reasons (the opening of a rift is creating a series of long lakes, like in eastern africa).
    This other version of the coasts is not that bad, but I indeed prefer the first one.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

love this!

Mmmmm,,, I think indeed the bassin is the best option and it seems like my first map was indeed quite logical then! Greati thanks!

Okay I will go with the icecap that lowered the ground, that will do great! I suppose I should also have a mountain chain north and west to force the water even more to flow inland before going out.
    And I have to redraw it cause the one I was working on I accidently stained it with blood -.- (i had to cut myself with a broom AND DON'T ASK ME HOW I DID IT)

Gahahahaha!! Guess I need to bring that thread up again! On the six map open for critics its going too much in climates so I decided to return here.

*bangs his head against the wall* Lesson number 1 for idiots like me who draw HUGE maps and afterwards only question about what to add... Always set up a grid with latitudes and longitudes BEFORE you go overboard...
    Gahahaha! Brief explanation of what is going on... On another thread called ''six maps open for critics '', I asked what I should add in a certain region, if some plains or grass lands would fit best. Then I was asked by a fellow cartographer that all that depends on your latitude...

If you read this thread from the start, you can guess that up untill now I only guessed what are the REALLY VAGUE coordonates of an area on the globe of my planet. Which means that for a single continent it can work if its not too big. Hehehe...haha... *bangs his head again* But as you all know I am planning to go further south and even add other continents. Weeheee!! I might say that I have been lucky so far, that my maps have a certain realism, but I can't keep on going like that. I need to change my approach to cartography.

I need help. How should I approach climates if I go for a whole continent? Should I set up a latitude and longitude grid so I can have some points of comparison with our planet and therefore be able to judge what climate would be there by looking at our world? Should I only use latitudes and longitudes for a systeme of coordonates and go for see current and winds to explain climates?

Okay, simply put *bangs his head a third time* what are the variables I should take in account in order to have a logical and coherent climate setup for a whole planet and not just a continent? Maybe I should buy a book on earth's climates....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123