Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Summervale

Thanks for all the nice comments. It's been a while since I've drawn a map with pencil, it's kind of nice. Hope to get more done after the holiday (here in the US). Unfortunately I work the holiday, plus today and tomorrow, but will have some time Tuesday.

It's looking good! I like the close-up of the volcano and the subtle shades.

Nice shading there ! I can't wait to see the final result of this map !

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	84206

Had a little time to work more on the map. I think I just need a legend, scale, the cities and towns, shading on the mountains, and something to denote the grasslands. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, comments, critiques, suggestions welcome.

The volcano illustration is really nice!!

Nice mountains and a good shading. I like your illustration too. For the water of the lake, i'm not sure. At the foot of the tower, is it some barren lands ? This bright surface seems much appropriate for a water surface imo. Waiting for your next update.

Really nice start, I think others should take note of your lakes. They are more horizontal than vertical and make it look better in this perspective style. Nice job so far, like the layout too.

I like your forests; the shading is subtle but very effective.

Great job, Savage!
    I really appreciate you posting your WIP pic. Given that I'm brand new here, your map really helped me understand how you might go about fulfilling the laundry list of requirements. When I was reading everything that needed to be included, my visual of my map got REALLY crowded. Your map, however, feels really vast and expansive - not crowded at all! Like you said, however, you still need to add a legend and some cities and towns and such.

If I could offer one suggestion, I would say that an indication on the map that refers the viewer to the illustration would be awesome. Call me dense, but it took me a few moments to realize exactly where the volcano was located. BTW, I think the way you put the dungeon's entrance in the same view as the volcano is pretty wham-o-dine, man!

I'm trying to work up the courage to make a go at this myself, but I think I may be too late to make the deadline. Unless I really hustle... O.o

Thanks all for the comments.

@mixerbach - wow, wham-o-dine, never heard that before. To be honest, the volcano illustration being the same view as the map was completely by accident, if I understand you correctly. I believe I drew the illustration before I actually placed the cave entrance on the map. And my initial intention was the illustration to be a different angle but it just worked out to be similar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast