Thread: Writer seeking collaborator on making maps for vast fantasy world

Guild Applicant

Help Writer seeking collaborator on making maps for vast fantasy world

I am working on an ambitious epic fantasy series. The first book is nearly ready for final professional editing, but many of my readers tell me that what I really need are maps to help solidify the world in their minds. So, I am looking for someone who is interested in collaborating on this. Here's the pitch for the book:

Two thousand years ago magic shattered the world.

Preserver historians would later call it the Sundering War, a terrible conflict of unrestrained magic that literally tore the world apart. Now, the world’s continents float amidst vast stretches of open sky, orbiting around a central core--the world's spine. And magic--along with any who can wield it--are seen as the darkest and most vile abominations in all the shattered world.

Raised in an abbey on the sunless cliffs of the spine, Rhea has been taught her whole life to hate and fear the dark power that destroyed the world so long ago. But on her sixteenth nameday, Rhea discovers that she herself can channel this cursed power. And after awakening an ancient magical shard, Rhea must flee the abbey to escape the dark forces who will stop at nothing to find it. Now Rhea’s only hope may lie in herself--in the cursed power she can wield, and the fleeting hope that she can learn to use it. For the Shadow gathers in the world, and the fate of all life and light may rest in her hands.

That's it. If your interested enough to learn more, or have any further questions, please let me know in this forum or by contacting me. Thanks so much!

Brian

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Brian, you're more likely to get interested replies if you follow this layout for a map request:

Subject

[I attach a scan of a rough sketch of the map I had in mind]
    [A brief verbal description e.g. - This will be a world map of three continents on an earthsized planet or this will be a map of a large coastal city]
    The scale of the map will be approximately X miles to the inch.

Style

[I am looking for a map in the following style - insert hyperlink of style of map required.]
    [I am looking for a (describe style e.g. greyscale, photorealistic, similar to the maps on page x of the DM's guide etc]

Quality & Size

[Professional / semi professional]
    [Required for print / web]
    [Dimensions of map: x inches by y inches (or pixels)]
    [Raster / Vector]

Time Constraints

What time limits (if any) are you working to?

Copyright

- (as simple or complex as you need. If you want something watertight consult a lawyer, the suggestions below are just for illustrative purposes and may not provide the protection you require).
    Please note that in order to use the map in any publication you'll need reproduction rights or copyright to the map. However for most uses, commercial and non-commercial, reproduction rights are enough. If you ask for full copyright to the map you should normally expect to pay more for it. (read more about copyright here). Sometimes you only want rights for a single use of the map and sometimes you'd like to have rights to use it again and again, so what it may be used for and for how long should be considered.

I would like reproduction rights to the map
    I would like copyright of the map
    The artist will retain copyright of the map
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Tip: *** You are unlikely to get a cartographer to make your map if you want it done for free but also want to have copyright of the image ***

Contact Details

Please note that as an anti-spam measure you need to have 5 posts on the board before you can send or receive Private Messages on this bbs. If you post an e-mail address you might want to take some precautions against evil, e-mail address harvesting spambots.
    Hope this helps!

--wired

Hey Brian, you've got mail! I hope to hear from you!

-Daniël

Guild Applicant

I was told that to get more responses to the post I should include the following info:

Subject:
    This will likely be an ongoing collaboration with multiple maps and potentially artist's renditions. Initially, a "side view" world map--(it is a shattered world, with floating continents and islands orbiting around the central core or spine of the world (like an apple core), some specific locations (abbey, potentially one or two cities) and a cut-out view/rendering of one or two skyships.

Style:
    I'm open to possibilities, but here is a link to a style that I found most interesting in my browsing. http://tomdigitalgraphics.deviantart...lley-583636383

Quality and Size:
    Professional/Semi professional
    Required for print in a book
    Unsure about dimensions/pixels (sorry)

Time Constraints:
    Would like to have it publication ready by end of July

Copyright:
    Reproduction rights. Artist will retain copyright.

Hope this helps answer some more questions.

Hey Brian - until you have 5 posts you will not be able to use the private message system, so you need one more post.
    Or an email address for people to respond to this request.

Sounds interesting but if you are in a hurry I'm probably not your guy. I've only got so much after hours time for art otherwise I might be interested.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hello Brian!

I am interested in the request. Please, send me a email to info -at- versakestudio -dot- com (replacing the anti spam bots inserts) will more info of your project.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk