Thread: Morning y'all

Default Morning y'all

Just a quick bit about myself.

I'm 23, from Texas, have a thing for eccentric hobbies, and for Oxford commas.

I've come across the Guild before, but finally decided to join for the resources here. I'm a writer in my spare time, nothing published, I just do it to relax. But I decided my worlds needed maps, partially to help me keep distances and political boundaries straight. So here I be. Why not combine my interests of fountain pens and writing with the need for the trade of the cartographer, and get my worlds fleshed out by own hand in the ways of yore?

Hi HS, welcome to the Guild! We've had quite a few writers join up lately, so you're in good company.

Are you planning to hand-draw your maps then, rather take the digital route? We've got a quite a few hand-drawers round these parts, so I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice if you need it.

Looking forward to watching you flesh out your world.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the guild!

As always, check out the tutorials section for plenty of helpful material, but I saw your other thread and you're doing it by hand. Most of the tutorials are for digital mapping, but there are lots of members who do maps with good ol' pen and paper here.
    For pen and paper maps I started out watching Quest Atlas, really excellent videos. Also check out Fantastic Maps, a great resource for tutorials, though many of them are for digital mapping a lot of them can be applied to pen and paper mapping as well. Also Lineart Tutorial For Beginners is a good tutorial, though for digital drawing most of it would work for pen and paper.

Hope to see you around!

EDIT: Forgot to add the links just added them. And it looks like I got sniped!
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 05-25-2016 at 12:01 PM.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi HS, welcome to the Guild! We've had quite a few writers join up lately, so you're in good company.

Are you planning to hand-draw your maps then, rather take the digital route? We've got a quite a few hand-drawers round these parts, so I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice if you need it.

Looking forward to watching you flesh out your world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Welcome to the guild!

As always, check out the tutorials section for plenty of helpful material, but I saw your other thread and you're doing it by hand. Most of the tutorials are for digital mapping, but there are lots of members who do maps with good ol' pen and paper here.
    For pen and paper maps I started out watching Quest Atlas, really excellent videos. Also check out Fantastic Maps, a great resource for tutorials, though many of them are for digital mapping a lot of them can be applied to pen and paper mapping as well. Also Lineart Tutorial For Beginners is a good tutorial, though for digital drawing most of it would work for pen and paper.

Hope to see you around!

EDIT: Forgot to add the links just added them. And it looks like I got sniped!

Thanks for the welcomes you two.

ChickPea, I am intending on doing the hand drawn route. I spend a lot of time on the road for work (self employed), so I never have a computer with me, nor is mine really up to the demands of digital map making. But pen and paper, I never set foot out the door without.

Josiah VE, wow that's a lot of resource material to get through. Good thing I'm off work today. I've got some heavy reading to do. Now, where did I put my pencil sharpener...