Thread: Town of Adirannon

Default Town of Adirannon

So for the Guild World I started on a town map, on the shores of Lake Latbel, Adirannon.

The reason I didn't put this in town mapping is because I'm it will include other maps, such as structure maps, and story.

So here is the WIP town map. It's smaller than I was originally planning, but oh well. Just a tiny bit to the west of the actual town there is a military port, actually pretty small but the largest one on Lake Latbel (there isn't a whole tonne of seafaring on the lake, it's pretty small after all.)
    The town itself is a fishing town, lots of boats, which is fun. It was very enjoyable making the boat brushes and then putting them all over the map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Latbel copy.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	510.7 KB 
ID:	83968

And I whipped up a quick sketchup model to trace off of to make an illustration of Benyei harbor.

I don't know, I included this just cause, if anyone wanting to see it. The sketchup model:

Name:	Lake Latbel Blockhouse.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	83969

And the actual illustration:

Name:	Lake Latbel Blockhouse.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	83970

I would like to do more illustrations, such as a lower view of the watchtower being blown to pieces by a canon (part of the story I'm writing for this ), and maps of notable structures on the map. Of course it all takes time, but some of the buildings and illustrations might only take an evening each.
    Well, let me know what you think of it, I'm going to post it in the Finished Maps section too..

So yes, I'm writing a story for this, I'll post it here and I'd like to eventually compile all the stuff I'm making for this into a PDF..

And thanks to Caenwyr and Snodsy for inspiring me!
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 05-27-2016 at 06:44 PM.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very cool! Looks like a wonderful start Josiah. There appears to be a Renaissance of city maps occurring at the moment.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey hey hey! Congrats for starting writting! Always an inspiring thing for maps!

I have been doing maps for some years now and never did a serious town map. I regret it a little cause now I have plenty to do in the near future and never developped a style. I don't even know how I would do a city map. howeverm I know I will come to your maps for inspiration Josiah!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Very cool! Looks like a wonderful start Josiah. There appears to be a Renaissance of city maps occurring at the moment.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks!
    Yes, there are quite a lot of town maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    Hey hey hey! Congrats for starting writting! Always an inspiring thing for maps!

I have been doing maps for some years now and never did a serious town map. I regret it a little cause now I have plenty to do in the near future and never developped a style. I don't even know how I would do a city map. howeverm I know I will come to your maps for inspiration Josiah!
    Yes, writing is good for accompanying maps indeed. Thanks!
    I'll be looking forward to some town maps if you start testing them.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

That's very impressive Josiah ! Both city and structure are beautiful pieces and using sketch up to model the building is a clever idea. You never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    That's very impressive Josiah ! Both city and structure are beautiful pieces and using sketch up to model the building is a clever idea. You never cease to amaze me.
    Wow, I amaze someone! I'm honored!

Okay, so. Woke up early this morning and two or three hours later I have this! I can't say I like it as much as the other one, but this is just and illustration, not a map. But still, I'm pretty happy with it. I achieved at least partly what I was hoping for. I'm sure it is tremendously unrealistic for one cannon to take off the top of a tower.. but meh.

Name:	Tower Falling.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	83992

Again I used a sketchup model to help with this, and the ships are not my models!

Name:	Tower blowing up.JPG.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	83994

I'd like to hopefully put this on the cover of the PDF I will hopefully make..
    Let me know what you think!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very interesting and cool map so far! How did you get those ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I'm sure it is tremendously unrealistic for one cannon to take off the top of a tower.. but meh.

Well, cannons *are* the reason why castles became obsolete...

Anyway, maybe this is just the finishing shell from the bombardment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very interesting and cool map so far! How did you get those ships?
    Thanks. The ships are from SketchUp's 'warehouse' where you can download 3d models other people made.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Well, cannons *are* the reason why castles became obsolete...

Anyway, maybe this is just the finishing shell from the bombardment.
    Yeah, I guess so..

Well, in the story it gets hit by two, but maybe four or five or six would be better.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM