Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2016 Lite Challenge: Principality of Amorlorn

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Default May/June 2016 Lite Challenge: Principality of Amorlorn

Right my first Lite Challenge map, this is just a draft I'm throwing up before I get more inspiration.

I'm trying for a monochrome style as would be actually published in a book. I'm still struggling with a fancy frame and a legend, nothing quite seems to work.

I sketched the mage tower myself in about five minutes. I really can't draw :p

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amorlorn D1.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	83907
    Last edited by Robulous; 05-25-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Looking great so far. I like how this is different from the other ones, it's top down and it has all those cities, and the spindles.. and stuff.. Love it! It feels like it's actually part of a bigger continent.

In five minutes? I wouldn't say that's not being able to draw, it looks great!

Seeing this makes me really want to take part of the challenge. There are so many great ones!

If this is just a sketch I can't wait to see the next stages.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Excellent start. Some very interesting features to the map! In regards to the quick sketch of the tower, I agree, you can't draw,,,that is IF we compare your work to Frazetta or Elmore, but it looks pretty dang good to me.

Welcome to the challenge, can't wait to see how it comes out!

Here's my second go, complete with fancy border, legend, a cartouche and added artwork!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amorlorn-v2.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	83919

Thirty years ago Amorlorn was a soft and pleasant realm in the western arm of the Empire, gentled and protected by the Mage-Prince Erhang, until his heart was crushed by the Witch-Queen Yimsilta, who left him for a younger wizard with a bigger tower.

In anguish he stretched out his hands unleashing all the pent-up powers at his command: the waters boiled, the ground shook, and the mountains poured forth smoke and fire til the western lands were wreathed in ashen gloom. His servants fled the Mageblade, his tower of stone and silver rising from the waters Erhang's Mirror, as gloom stole across the land.

Whispers say only one thing may break the curse brought by Erhang's broken heart: new love brings new life, and all sorrows are healed by true devotion.

Looks great!

Can't say I like those mountain peak icons though..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

It's coming along nicely! I do have to agree with Josiah, though. I think I finally understand what people mean when they tell me that something looks like it's floating over my land. Your isolated mountains don't look connected to the land to me... it looks like they are floating in mid air... maybe it's the shading? I'm not sure.

Otherwise this is looking great!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I like the composition of the piece; it's nicely balanced and everything is clear. The border works well, doing its job of framing the piece.

I do agree with the other comments of "floating" objects though and if you just tweak the land beneath them and blend them in, it shouldn't be a difficult problem to overcome.

As for your sketch, it's not bad at all and nicely detailed. I'd sort out the wibblyness of the spire if you can, but then again you may want it to be like that.

Some ideas:

Maybe you could gray out the mountain icons a bit, to match the existing color schemes. Right now, there is too much contrast.

Another source of contrast is that your mountain ranges seem to have a top-down appearance, while the mountain icons have a side-view appearance. It might be worth reducing them to an icon representation, like the little triangles on many topographic maps for mountain peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    It might be worth reducing them to an icon representation, like the little triangles on many topographic maps for mountain peaks.
    Thanks yes they are just meant to be symbols marking the place, I'll find a different kind of symbol.

Nice map ! I quite like the style, reminds me of the old school, ink drawn maps you can find in some novels !
    However, I agree with the others about the mountains, but what bothers me the most is the texture of the border (the default pattern of Photoshop if I'm not mistaken). Maybe try some other textures, like stone, to fill the borders ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast