Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World of Khaz (Commission)

Default The World of Khaz (Commission)

Hello cartographers,

My latest completed map, a commission for a private world-building enterprise. Done with a mouse in Photoshop.

If you're interested in the WIP thread, take a look here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...highlight=khaz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khaz Final 3.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	7.68 MB 
ID:	84029
    ©Zach Bodenner, 2016

Super nice! I was actually just wondering about this one, if you had completed it yet.

I love it, and with a mouse, impressive! Did you do the icons yourself as well? They look very nice. I think the town icons dominate the map a lot, but other than that I love it!

Great job. Rep coming your way.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Yes I made the icons using an isometric grid I found...somewhere on this website, I think. And I agree, it wouldn't be so cluttered if they were simply dots, but the icons added a bit of personality, I think.

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Yes I made the icons using an isometric grid I found...somewhere on this website, I think. And I agree, it wouldn't be so cluttered if they were simply dots, but the icons added a bit of personality, I think.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Yes, the icons definitely add personality, but what if they were a bit smaller? I think that would help a bit.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I did experiment with it, but smaller icons meant smaller fonts (or else the labels would look unbalanced compared to the icons) and decided that the label legibility was more important.

It's a great peace, and all the more impressive for having been done with a mouse. But I do have to agree with Josiah about the icons cluttering the image, I do think they would look better at say 1/2 size.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected sword peddler's Avatar

I think the size of the icons is fine, actually. But I wish they were not copy and paste jobs.

Great map GWN! I think I would have also prefered smaller icons by comparison with the other elements, and I'm not so fond of the map overlapping with the frame. But except for those two minor things, it's an awesome map .

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I don't mind the overall size of the icons I just question their relative size - the village and city symbols aren't sufficiently different in size for it to stand out which is which. But fantastic drawing, love it.

I like the coloring and the coarse feel of the line work! I agree about the "overlapping the frame", would prefer the frame to be on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast