Thread: Jungle Map

Wip Jungle Map

Here's the map for a WIP. It's a hexmap intended for use in a role playing game. Big jungle, scattered ruins, with some dryer forest to the southwest and Savannah northeast.

My goal here is maximum utility for the GM - clear and easy to read - over presentation. Colors might be a bit much... thinking about desaturating them. Labels will be added, most notably an alphanumeric grid for the hexes, each of which is 12 miles across.

Drawn freehand, scanned, then colored in photoshop. First draft was actually in Hexographer, but that was only used as a loose reference.

Might add more small islands, I don't know. Feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexjungle.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	470.6 KB 
ID:	83908  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well I like the overall look of it, but you've got MAJOR river issues. Lakes almost always have only one outlet, thought they can have multiple inlets. If they have more than one outlet it's generally a temporary thing, with one gaining 'dominance' eventually and the over one silting up. Also, where's the source for these rivers? Or are those actually channels between islands and not rivers?

There's some backstory but it's essentially an artificial fracturing/fault/canal sort of situation. I'm not sure how long that would take to resolve itself into a more natural equilibrium. Any insight?

Here's a quick and dirty modification with many eliminated outflow rivers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibu2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	83915  

maybe something in the lake, or a more dark water for the high sea

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Not a clue as to how long it would take to resolve naturally, I'm no geologist. I know that water wants to 'seek out' lower ground, so if there are two lake outlets, the lower/deeper outlet will be the one favored.

Also, what about an inlet, a source for the lake? Is it purely rainfall-derived, or is there a river(s) that feed it?

The grade is too gradual to represent on the map, but it's the highest point of elevation on the peninsula. Bit of a raised crater, fed by near constant rainfall.

COncerning the time it would take to empty... I don't have much to say but I know that by looking at the regression of the ice during the WURM glaciation (Or the Wisconsin for americans and canadians) you can see how with several hundreds of years it can change ALOT! And by alot you see the change in climate, in the type of animals. If you give me time, i could get some pictures of it, I had a class on it in archaeology.

I like the simple style you've got going, nice job. Maybe could use a bit of something else though? A bit empty I think.

I'm not sure what to say about the rivers. I believe if it's artificial canals it would be okay.. but I'm not an expert! Of course, if it is a fantasy world anything is possible!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM