Thread: The Port City of Tabor

Wip The Port City of Tabor

Hello,

This is my first attempt at a city map, a port city called Tabor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160528_205347.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	83985 (sorry for the phone quality, I don't have a scanner big enough to scan A3)

The city is the most important trading hub for the Kingdom of Aren, and it will be the starting city for the PC's in a campaign I am writing at the moment. I have a continental map which I will post in the proper sub-forum sometime soon.

I would love some feedback on how I can improve this map - my main challenges are:
    • Labelling areas - best way to do it by hand?
    • Taking the map from a sketch to something a little more final - just artline it? or is there a better way?

I prefer drawing maps by hand as I only have a cheap graphics tablet and I feel I have more control on paper.

Because I haven't worked out a nice way to label it yet, here is a quick rundown of the districts:
    • In the bottom left, the warehouse district (names are placeholders) - Storage for all the goods coming into or out of the port
    • Separating this from the next district is a large market area, where almost any kind of goods can be bought or sold (although nothing too illegal in this part of town). More permanent stores along the sides.
    • Next across, dockside - the slightly seedier part of town, without going to an actual slum. Small, cramped houses, narrow streets, slightly shady inns.
    • Across once more, we have a slightly nicer part of town. This is where people such as craftsmen, small businesses and artisans would live. Houses are nicer and larger with wider streets.
    • Across a final time and there is another small block of warehouses and a caravan depo - this is storage for any cargo coming in by caravan or river.
    • On the other bank of the river is a slum/smugglers haven
    • Back in the top left, surrounded by a wall is the old town. It is the highest part of the city (the rest gradually sloped towards this). Similar housing density to item 3 on this list, but more expensive.
    • to the right of this is the merchants district - Very large houses, usually with their own small grounds. There is a large park/market circle in the centre.
    • Directly below this is the temple plaza, housing temples to every major god in the kingdom.
    • To the right of this is a small judicial district, with a prison, courts, and the main guardhouse.
    • To the north of the old town is practically a slum, most inhabitants only live there part time and work as caravan guards, sailors or seasonal farmers for part of the year.

I'm looking forward to your comments and criticisms.
    Last edited by spyb0y1; 05-28-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Re-uploaded attachment as it wasn't working

Hey Spyboy,

I'm afraid the attachment isn't working. Try re-uploading it. This happens sometimes.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks for letting me know, I've re-uploaded it now. Hopefully it'll work now, I know I can see it embedded this time.

Yep, it's working now.

Really, really cool layout! It's looking great.

For labeling and easy way to do it is scan it in and label it on the computer..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

That's a good idea, I'll just have to find somewhere with a big enough scanner that I can use...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spyb0y1 View Post
    That's a good idea, I'll just have to find somewhere with a big enough scanner that I can use...
    Try using Camscanner on your phone, it's good at adjusting the shape and contrast. Also try to make sure you take it from directly above, in good lighting.

I always scan things with Camscanner on my phone, it gives good results.