Thread: Creative Commons clarification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, your right. From the point of view that we have all used Neons CC-NC-SA work as a base then its true that you would need permission from Neon to use his world beyond the scope of the publicly stated consent.

I have to say that I would resist changing my works license. If Neon makes it available under additional terms for just the base map then that's fine by me tho.

Blog Entries

Actually it does throw up an interesting point. If somebody then mapped out an area using Neons original map bypassing the tiled maps we have created then they could make them copyright and restricted. You could get a situation where another clone of Ansium is done and sold with those people referencing these free additional mapped bits for it. Personally I would have no problem with that but its basically forking the art into two separate licensing models. I doubt it would happen because anyone could bypass paying for content by going here and getting our free one but its a thought to keep in mind. Also, what your asking for is a special case for just tier 1 maps. If somebody took one of my Thrub maps and made some more stuff for it then they couldn't sell it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If somebody took one of my Thrub maps and made some more stuff for it then they couldn't sell it either.
    Right. And another corner case: Suppose 12rounds wanted to collect all of those character illustrations and tokens into a book and make that available on Lulu or RPGNow. Since most of the characters that have been posted here are based on information created for the CWBP, they also are bound by the NC-BY-SA license. I don't think any of us would begrudge 12rounds the right to distribute that work in such a way, but legally speaking, it would require getting individual permission from everyone who wrote source material in order to free it from the NC portion of the original license.

I don't anticipate that anyone here would prosecute over this matter, but we cannot foresee the future. Forewarned is forearmed.

Concerning the FT line of discussion: FT's license, along with the other ProFantasy products I have looked at, clearly states that maps created with the software are the sole property of the creator. ProFantasy makes no claim of ownership to anything except the art assets, which may be redistributed only in the form of a "finalized" image from which the symbols cannot be extracted. So that's not really an issue here--my concern is with the additional restrictions we placed on ourselves with the CC license.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Since most of the characters that have been posted here are based on information created for the CWBP, they also are bound by the NC-BY-SA license.
    Maybe the accompanying text might be covered but there is nothing in his images that are based on anything covered by CWBP.

There are a lot of weird stuff in this area. The one that I find odd is the way museums take photos of real and old art and make postcards of them and claim copyright on them.

Only recently we were discussing a bestiary and there are some online made in year X at least 100yrs ago and the people publishing pages from it are claiming copyright on them. I am sure that they have no claim to make on the copyright of an image which is public domain.