Thread: Hi Everyone

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone

I decided to join you guys after many years of lurking. I never really felt compelled to join before as I had nothing to share and didn't feel like I would be able to contribute anything.
    I have always been really interested in maps, especially coastal maps and I have really enjoyed all the maps you guys have made here, some of them it just blows my mind how talented some of you guys are.

Anyway, I joined to share some images generated by a procedural terrain generator I am working on, I thought you guys might be interested in it.

I just joined so I don't know if I will be able to post any links, but if I am then here are some images of some of the terrain I generated just now with some different settings: http://imgur.com/gallery/35iXp

If you have any ideas about some new features I could add I would really like to hear about them, for example I am considering an option to generate just a coastline instead of the whole map, custom colours for each band, raise/lower sealevel in real time, add some rivers and forests, use a custom seed so the same map can be generated each time, an option to step through the generator one pass at a time so you can see the maps being built stepo by step and see how the algorithm works...

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Heya and welcome!

That looks pretty cool. The raw files could be used as the basis for making some pretty cool maps. We often use Photoshop's noise filters (plus some artistic manipulation) to generate random terrain but they're not optimal...or designed for terrain. What's the output? Vectors or pixels? Hard to tell from the pics...thought vectors at first then wasn't so sure.

Welcome to the Guild!

That first coastline is epic! I would love to use something like that as a base for a map.

Hope to see more stuff from you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Pixels are fine, actually. Fits with the way I work. If I were designing a tool I could use for making maps I'd do it so it would output both a smooth height map and a map with different elevations in separate colors. Both could be useful in cartography. Maybe some of the members who have been making regional/atlas type maps more than I have lately will have some other ideas.
    M

Edit: Oh. And. Have some rep for coming forward and sharing your cool work. It has been a while since I got to rep anyone!