Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guild World - Lands of the Icewind

Map Guild World - Lands of the Icewind

Hi all. Here was my contribution to the Guild World collaboration. It was a fun project. I enjoyed watching other Guild maps take shape and thinking about how neighboring territories would influence the culture of the map I was working on. Anyway, here is a little background (this was originally posted in the WiP thread):

The story behind this map is that its inhabitants are a tribal people whose customs are similar both to those of ancient Japan and to that of America's First Nations. Various species ranging from human, to elf to orc coexist within the land. Whereas all of the tribes were once nomadic, or semi-nomadic, in the last several centuries some of these tribes have switched to an agricultural economic structure. The three largest of these tribes, the Chiawaka, the Kavano and the Rinoka have federated with one anther for mutual aid and protection. While these peoples do not conceive of the land as something which can be "owned", they nevertheless recognize each other's right to cultivate particular regions of the land without interference. They will thus unite to defend one another against attack.

The land derives its name from the arctic northerlies that regularly sweep over the land with unrelenting force. Of special significance to the peoples of this land is the rare arctic raven, a creature whose feathers are the color of snow. It is thought that these birds are the children of the raven spirit who watches over the northern lands. Sightings of such ravens are seen as good omens.

Credits: I drew inspiration for the crow icon in the ocean from this image).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	84193  

Excellent map, very nice work. Love the sky bird icon.

Fabulous.. fabulous. Inspiring! If I have time I'd like to try some stuff with wilbur sometime.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Looks pretty fantastic. I've always had a preference for mountainous regions. The terrain must make for a very harsh lifestyle for these people.

Gorgeous map with very appealing colouring. I love how you've done the terrain. It looks like you could almost feel the ridges under your fingers.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wow, this map turned out great!

-Dan

A fantastic map, Arsheesh. I hope you'll do other maps in this style!

The terrain is absolutely breathtaking, and the ocean's hue and texture give it a depth and foreboding which perfectly shape the mood.

And those mountains just breathe a fierce and rugged air. Unlike many fantasy maps, I find myself yearning to stand in this landscape, pull the furs a little tighter and strike out for the next ridgetop trail.

…how did you do this? How did you manage those mountains?

It's a great map and a very interesting setting. Not usually the kind of world one would see used in something like the kinds of games i run and play but the map and scenario you depict do give me ideas.

thank you.
    it's a beautiful map

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Excellent map, very nice work. Love the sky bird icon.
    Thank you. The icon was inspired by some tattoo art I'd seen on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Fabulous.. fabulous. Inspiring! If I have time I'd like to try some stuff with wilbur sometime.
    Thank you. There's a bit of a learning curb with Wilbur, but once you understand it, it is a really handy little program.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Orion View Post
    Looks pretty fantastic. I've always had a preference for mountainous regions. The terrain must make for a very harsh lifestyle for these people.
    Thank you. Yup, as I envision it, this is a very rugged land, as are its people.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Gorgeous map with very appealing colouring. I love how you've done the terrain. It looks like you could almost feel the ridges under your fingers.
    Thank you ChickPea!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Wow, this map turned out great!

-Dan
    Thanks Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A fantastic map, Arsheesh. I hope you'll do other maps in this style!
    Thanks Ilanthar, I'm sure that I will at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    The terrain is absolutely breathtaking, and the ocean's hue and texture give it a depth and foreboding which perfectly shape the mood.

And those mountains just breathe a fierce and rugged air. Unlike many fantasy maps, I find myself yearning to stand in this landscape, pull the furs a little tighter and strike out for the next ridgetop trail.

…how did you do this? How did you manage those mountains?
    Thank you Sanderling. The mountains were created by running a height-map (that is, a B&W map in which the height of a given pixel is determined by its value, with lighter values indicating higher altitudes and darker values indicating lower altitudes) through a program called Wilbur that calculates erosion based on a height map. I briefly describe the process in a bit more detail in comment #27 of the WIP thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitedtk View Post
    It's a great map and a very interesting setting. Not usually the kind of world one would see used in something like the kinds of games i run and play but the map and scenario you depict do give me ideas.

thank you.
    it's a beautiful map
    Thank you. It is my pleasure.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast