Thread: Corellia World Map in GIMP

Help Corellia World Map in GIMP

Hi everyone, I have been lingering around these forums for a little while admiring others' work and reading through some excellent tutorials and have finally found a bit of time to try my own hand at creating a map. I am still in the early stages, mostly because I get a little bit into the process and then decide that my effort is not good enough and I should start again. Which on the plus side has given me lots of practice at the first few stages of RobA's excellent tutorial.

Anyway, I'm going to post two pictures; one with the current state of the map and one with the underlying continental plates (to hopefully explain some strange geology). Please critique both, I need to figure out how to improve this.

500px - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corellia v1.1 tectonics.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	84297
    5000px - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corellia v1.1 tectonics.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	84296

Now the "strange geology" I mentioned is the small plate which is in the middle of the largest continent. The two larger plates are pushing into it from either side, eventually destroying it I would imagine. I thought in this region there would be mountains on the leading edge of the two larger continents and the land on the smaller plate could be lowlands. Does this make sense?

500px - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corellia v1.1.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	84298
    5000px - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corellia v1.1.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	84295

Another small question I have is regarding GIMP; I want to have the edge of the map running down the ocean which is currently to the east of the main continent. I have tried cutting a strip off the right hand side, inverting selection and moving the main body of the map over to the right and then pasting the other section back at the left hand side, but it won't let me paste. There is a broken yellow line down what is currently the left edge of the map and nothing shows up beyond that point. Can anyone advise me how to fix that?

Any and all advice is welcome, thanks for your time.

Nice start! Don't know much about geology so I don't know if it makes sense or not..

As for GIMP, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice start! Don't know much about geology so I don't know if it makes sense or not..

As for GIMP, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.
    Ha! Yeah, when I was writing that bit I was thinking "does this actually make any sense?"

I don't know the correct terminology, which makes explanation difficult. If I was at my computer I could take screenshots, but as it stands I'll try to muddle through with words.

If you use the rectangle select tool to select a whole strip down the side of the map and cut it, then invert the selection you end up with a rectangular selection encompassing the rest of the map. You then use the Move tool to drag this to the right, all the way to the right hand edge. At this stage if I Select None I still find there is a broken yellow line down what had been the left border of the selection. It's no longer at the edge of the canvas, but I can't get GIMP to draw anything to the left of this line.

Does that make sense? If not I could take some screenshots tomorrow.

Blog Entries

i am guessing you are referring to this bit here - in the center in the screenshot
    -- i ran a 2500 px offset
    / layer / transform / offset

this will take a bit of work
    but you can use the "clone" , "Air-brush" and "heal" tools

Last edited by johnvanvliet; 06-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thank you! That should make this a tad easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk