Thread: Holy City of Torroramai

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Default Holy City of Torroramai

I thought I'd document the evolution of another of my huge cities - this is Torroramai, capital city of the uge theocratic empire of Orror, ruled by the church of a monotheistic Mother Goddess.

In-world it's an entirely planned city, so I've been playing with how the city would evolve in the terrain, how people would live in it and travel through it.

Its main purpose is being the centre of government, plus managing a huge throughput of pilgrims visiting the temples and government buildings in the "Holy City", the circular centre. The Holy City is joined to the main docks by a canal and two huge boulevards which give a mile-long vista of gardens and icons (no religious statues, iconography is banned). A network of canals allows goods and people to be carried around the city - and importantly allows food to be shipped into the city from farms in the southeast and northeast, via the shipping basins. The city has never been threatened militarily, but the canals are also partly defensive.

I'm mainly sketching in the roads first and deciding on zoning before I start making any design decisions. Most of the central area is done, the rest is all just sketchy lines for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torroramai.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	84143

Excellent start, clean and well designed. Eager to see more.