Thread: The city of Veshakpradash

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected eleyana's Avatar

Map The city of Veshakpradash

This is the map of the city of Veshakpradash, a huge metropolis built on the ruins of an ancient Elven city.
    Because of the multitude of different religions and cult it's also caqlled "the crossroad of religions".

This is the first city map I've ever done so it's a bit rough around the edges. Also i'm not 100% convinced about how the slums turned out but i didn't know how else to draw them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contract020.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	84440

All critique is welcome.

Edit: a little bit is cut out of the bottom and top, scanner is too small unfortunately.

This is really well done eleyana.
    Even more so for being your first city map. It's far better than my first city map, that's for sure.
    First bit of critique - not about the city itself, but labeling... I would say that you should consider doing your labels digitally for this reason - the numbers are a bit hard to make out. It took me a while to find 2 and see the slums. That said, your slums aren't bad. One thing i try to do to denote slums is to make the buildings smaller than a normal building and then pack them more densely. I can see that you were sort of doing that already.
    Your street layout is good. At thumbnail size your main roads show easily. One thing many people don't do and often shows - is they don't create a scale and make things based on that scale size.
    It's hard if architecture and civil layout is not familiar to you. The main roads are wider than they would likely be, but it's okay.

All in all, this is one hell of a good map - first city map or not. You've got lots of great elements in there.
    I love your signs that lead out of town toward other directions. They're a great addition.
    The title scroll is also a fine addition.
    This is one you should be well proud of eleyana.
    Rep worthy.

Thanks a lot for the rep and the praise

About the labeling , it's not possible for me to do it digitally since the only scanner i own cuts out 5% of the map.
    What solutions do you think would be good for doing it by hand?
    Would leaving a blank space next to the building of interest work? I briefly considered it but i didn't like how some of the building walls just ended randomly into nothing.
    Maybe i could write them in a more elaborate font to make them stand out.

Also thanks for the advice on creating a scale beforehand, i definitely didn't do that and it would help a lot in making buildings the appropriate size.

Well, that's a city! I really like the old rpg look of it and the many details. The panels to indicate directions are fun and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by eleyana View Post
    Thanks a lot for the rep and the praise

About the labeling , it's not possible for me to do it digitally since the only scanner i own cuts out 5% of the map.
    What solutions do you think would be good for doing it by hand?
    Would leaving a blank space next to the building of interest work? I briefly considered it but i didn't like how some of the building walls just ended randomly into nothing.
    Maybe i could write them in a more elaborate font to make them stand out.

Also thanks for the advice on creating a scale beforehand, i definitely didn't do that and it would help a lot in making buildings the appropriate size.
    It's my pleasure eleyana
    The first thing that came to mind was to use a strong color, like red. Maybe a red pen to do them. They'd show much better, for sure.
    I understand - I had the same problem till I was able to afford a larger scanner. It's always tough with a map too big for your scanner.
    There are a number of ways you could get a stronger label, but honestly, using a color, just for the numbers, would likely be the best option.
    You could try it with a quick sketch test map and see what you think of it.

Love it, that had to take forever!

I think something that would look awesome and be easy to do would be to turn it into a figure ground!

https://www.google.com/search?q=figu...w=1424&bih=703

Wait.. your first city map?
    That's awesome!!
    That's a whole lot of buildings, you did a great job.
    I love the signs and the scroll too, they look great.

Rep coming your way!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharchitect View Post
    Love it, that had to take forever!

I think something that would look awesome and be easy to do would be to turn it into a figure ground!

https://www.google.com/search?q=figu...w=1424&bih=703
    That would be awesome, but i have no idea how i would even start doing something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Wait.. your first city map?
    That's awesome!!
    That's a whole lot of buildings, you did a great job.
    I love the signs and the scroll too, they look great.

Rep coming your way!
    Thanks for the rep and the praise, appreciate it