Thread: A regional experiment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking utterly beautiful, Ascension. I think the font change for the text works much better but the drop shadow with the text might be overkill. I can't begin to tell you how much I like this map. It really falls together as a whole wonderfully.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, guys! About the cast shadow...well I as going to put the text on top of platforms, sort of like a statue, and then I had thought about sinking the text into a crevasse...sort of like the text was erupting up through cracks. I thought that was overkill so I just put in a cast shadow to accentuate the 3dishness. I could probably tone it down in some areas, like on the lighter places. I'd like to take the henges and towers and do them in a similar quasi-ISO style similar to the cartoony text but I'm wondering if that will cause them to dominate the image. And I'm wondering if I will have to do the cities the same way. Maybe I'll play around with that tonight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well I went ahead and did the redid the sites in the cartoony, semi-ISO style and I really like em. I took the images from an old Sketch Up file I was doing...a sort of Wizard's college. I got the central Tower of Mastery and Tower of Earth in but never got around to the other 3 elements since all of the round shapes were really hogging the memory usage. It appears that I need to do my towns in a similar fashion but I'm not sure I want to go and make a bunch of different towns in Sketch Up...I don't even want to do one village of huts much less 27 of them along with 9 towns and 2 cities. I could do one of each and just copy them but that still requires me to do 3 types. Oy. If I were gettin paid to do this for a video game or something then I would do it but since this is for fun I don't find that project all that much fun I also added the old pic of the towers.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps