Thread: Anthor Town Map

Guild Novice

Map Anthor Town Map

I would like to give credit as this map was heavily influenced in style by two maps posted on this forum sometime back but I lost the note where I recorded the posters' names. If it was you - thanks.

This is a hand drawn map. The initial outline was quickly sketched out in pencil then the details filled in with felt tip. The important buildings were then highlighted in coloured pencil.

Anthor is a town that has been battered by history: firstly fought over, stormed and slighted during a civil war, then devastated by a great flood. These events left the population reduced and the town walls in ruins. However where there is trade there is life, and the population is slowly rebuilding the town, although large areas inside the broken walls still remain barren.

Note that I have deliberately left out a scale. The purpose of this map is to give an overview layout of the town accentuating the more important features.

Clearly the map is not perfect so I am interested in any advice or feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anthor Map.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	7.12 MB 
ID:	84705
    Last edited by AEB; 06-27-2016 at 02:17 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a great start AEB, are you planning to digitally enhance the photo?

-darcycardinal

Blog Entries

for cleaning up line drawings i like the gimp gmic filter "smooth( bilateral) "
    this applies a type of "partial differential equation (PDE ) heat flow to the image

the original is on the right and the cleaned up is on the left
    a zoom in
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Atm I am drawing by hand as - after a decade long break - I am suddenly a game master again. All my paint/drawing software is obsolete (Corel Draw 12 anyone) although I did buy but never use CC3.

So for a rusty noob getting back into mapping is GIMP a good choice?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice start