Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden #9 - Hololach

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default Atlas Elyden #9 - Hololach

I hate this map so much! The topography took so long (especially in the south). The labelling took ages (largely as this was a region that I had not explored much previously, and all I knew was the coastline and mountains in the east and south and that the south was meant to be 'fjordy and Scandinavianish, but with a Mediterranean climate').

But I finally finished it, and I have to say it's one of my favourite maps now. I can technically do a lot more labelling in the south (and the labels in Aquariia to the NW and Ataraxia in the NE are still missing, mainly as those are also two regions i know very little about so I'll add those once I do the individual maps), but I'm so sick of this map for now that I'm calling it finished

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hololach - small.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	5.88 MB 
ID:	90584

Hololach is very much a land out of time. It is dominated by two geographical features that separate it from the east – the Toliasor mountain chain that runs uninterrupted from north to south for 1,000-miles; and the Holiasor mountains, which dominate the southern coast for 520-miles and is very difficult to navigate due to the large number of lochs and undulating rises along its length (attributable to ancient glaciers, whose force can still be seen in the boulder-strewn plains of Saleb).

These features have left Hololach largely separated from the east of the Inner Sea and helped forge its relations with the west – Sagittaria, Gnoth, Aquariia, and, more recently, Parthis. Its separation from the west means that many features introduced through industrialisation are not at all common here. Nomads, descended from the first Volupis of Hololach remain common, travelling the lands of Hololach and beyond in a long circuit that can take as much as a decade to complete, in caravans of hundreds of individuals.

The land is still ruled by a Volupis – halfblooded descendant of the first ruler – who is recognised as a divine being and treated as such. Hololach is divided into eight prefectures, each of which is ruled by a docent: practitioners of the Volupis’ divine teachings and shapers of unparalleled success – a dubious honour for the art of shaping is forbidden outside the docent caste, who maintain a strict vigil over the demiurge’s old art due to the dangers of its use there. The region of Oghyathav, in the north of the nation is a twisted wasteland where the Atramenta manifests as tangible nightmares thought to be ancient remains of a demiurge’s presence there millennia past. The nightmares take the form of twisted blackened formations, vaguely reminiscent of humanoid shapes or evoking emotions. Atramentists and scholars have studied the region hoping to learn more on the art of Oneiromancy (divination through dreams) and the history and mythology of the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobo.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	84739

#hololach #atlaselyden #fantasycartography #elyden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hololach - small.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	5.73 MB 
ID:	84738  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 12-28-2016 at 11:59 PM.

haha, I hear ya. I have moments just like that, where I am so sick of a map I'm working on.
    But the work pays off. This looks awesome Nate.
    The south looks incredible, but also the desaturated east area also, kattar mtns.
    The effort really shows.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, man. So much wow. I'm kind of speechless, not only at how amazing your maps are, but at how much time/effort/love/blood/sweat/tears you put into the background and lore. I doff my cap to you, sirrah.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, man. So much wow. I'm kind of speechless, not only at how amazing your maps are, but at how much time/effort/love/blood/sweat/tears you put into the background and lore. I doff my cap to you, sirrah.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    haha, I hear ya. I have moments just like that, where I am so sick of a map I'm working on.
    But the work pays off. This looks awesome Nate.
    The south looks incredible, but also the desaturated east area also, kattar mtns.
    The effort really shows.
    thanks for the words of encouragement

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I did find a typo though: in the SE section of the close-up map, there is a city named Sutrachris, but it looks as though that second 'r' shouldn't be there, at least according to the sea route naming... Should it actually be Sutrachis?

It actually should, its one of the common place name suffixes. Thanks for spotting it, and I noticed theres 2 places without names on an island in the se

This map looks fantastic! It actually looks like one you would find in an atlas... like it's an actual place! I love the color schemes you used. And the write up on it is really great too! Some rep from one writer to another
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I love the map and can picture the south in my mind. Mediterranean fjords, just an awesome idea! Well done!

I'm sorry but this map is just ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome that is.

The Holiasor Mountains....I just want to live there because the topography is so amazing. Find myself a nice little undisturbed fjord and build a cabin up on the mountainside with a spectacular view of the landscape. Maybe I'll have a little vineyard and make my own wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soixante View Post
    I'm sorry but this map is just ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome that is.

The Holiasor Mountains....I just want to live there because the topography is so amazing. Find myself a nice little undisturbed fjord and build a cabin up on the mountainside with a spectacular view of the landscape. Maybe I'll have a little vineyard and make my own wine.
    Thanks i remember swearing a lot when making this one - though the end result was worth it. I think it's probably my favourite map done so far in this series. One of the towns in the south, Tatris, is actually well-known for its vineyards. So you could go there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast