Thread: Hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Pandora and welcome to the Guild. That's a really great start you have there. Take a look at the software links if you're thinking of getting CC3 - (see my sig) there's lots of useful information there in coming to a decision.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Pandora and welcome to the Guild. That's a really great start you have there. Take a look at the software links if you're thinking of getting CC3 - (see my sig) there's lots of useful information there in coming to a decision.
    I already have CC3 (weirdest story there ... it arrived a few years after I ordered it ...) and I will have to use it for putting in the "civilization" into the map since I am too close to the limit of document size for Photoshop. I find the way of adding mountains or filling an area with texture much too tedious and not really "intuitive" in CC3, but the scaleability of icons is going to be great - I hope - for the "zoomable map" I want to create. Photoshop allows me much more freedom with the fills and patterns through the layer masks since I can simply paint with an X% opacity brush and erase with the next stroke and the results there arent as "perfectly filled" as CC3 stuff.

Update on the map:
    The plains arent as plain anymore due to adding two pattern layers: One for rocky / dry / infertile and another for fertile areas. The first is a simple "carpet pattern" from Photoshop and the other is a detailed tree pattern from pedrov. Both are added sparingly and the rocky one combines nicely with my hills. Maybe I find a decent alternative for pedrov's fill, because it does look too much like forest when the intensity goes up.

I also noticed that the water had been looking like it was above the coastline, so thats another little error gone now.
    If you cant say what youre meaning,
    you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Software used: mostly Photoshop, but icons may come from CC3.