Thread: Railway Map of East-Central Alberta

Map Railway Map of East-Central Alberta

This is a real-life map, but I drew it myself. What makes it interesting is how out-of-date it is. I can barely tell if this kind of thing is allowable, so feel free to quietly delete it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	railway_map_of_east_central_alberta_by_strathconabooster-da9t1qu.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	85172

I slapped this together for my summer job (I work at a historic site). It's based on a few maps that we have on file - hopefully, it accurately portrays 1929, with the Star-Lloydminster line having just been constructed. With any luck, it'll end up hanging in the train station.

About half of these locations no longer exist: the station closed, and all adjoining buildings have been completely abandoned. Plenty more are hanging on, but barely (including the community that our historic train station came from). Only a few have managed to thrive (it helps if you're within commuting distance of Edmonton). The reason for all this abandonment is farm mechanization: easier transportation by road means that there's no need to have small towns every 7 miles anymore, so a few central communities benefit and the rest wither.

This was kludged together from 7 partial scans: if you look close, you'll probably be able to pick out all the seams. That's what I get for drawing maps that are too big to scan!

My favourite part of this map is how I managed to nail the center-justified placement of those words in that box on my first try - I didn't even pencil anything in beforehand. Victory is sweet! The worst part of this map is how it has a grease stain on it (which I shopped out), and I messed up Wetaskiwin a little bit.

This is the first map I ever drew on paper! In the future, I'll probably be sticking with Inkscape, but this map is appropriate for its role.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eb56920663.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	85173  
    Last edited by StrathconaBooster; 07-12-2016 at 03:13 AM.

Nice map, clean and efficient. And... so many trees to do !

Guild Apprentice

There are so many comments - some of them from a place of personal sadness - I could make about this map. But you did good here.