Thread: compasses for free use

Default compasses for free use

Hi,

im nearly finished with my map and now im looking for a nice compass to go onto the map. Are there any copyright free copmass models i could use? Or do i need to create my own to not run into copyright issues anytime? best would be a medieval looking one.

At the Moment i dont have any intention to publish this map but maybe in some years this could change an then i have probably forgotten, that i used a copyright protected compass on the image. Therefore i'm looking for somthing completly copyright free

There are a number of compass roses here. Just do a search for "compass" in the Mapping Elements forum.

I've also collected compass roses that can be found on deviantART (in the "Resources & Stock Images" category). You can see them here: Map Resources: Compass Roses

As for commercial use... you'll just need to check each person's Rules/ToU/License, or contact them directly if they don't specifically mention that.

EDIT: It's always a good idea to take screenshots of the Rules/ToU/License for the resources you download, and stick them in the folders you create to store them, especially if you think you might use those resources in a commercial capacity, at a later date.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-29-2016 at 06:54 PM.

If you want a viking looking compass, Josiah VE won a lite challenge with a such a beauty a few moth ago. Here :
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=33499&page=6

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    There are a number of compass roses here. Just do a search for "compass" in the Mapping Elements forum.

I've also collected compass roses that can be found on deviantART (in the "Resources & Stock Images" category). You can see them here: Map Resources: Compass Roses

As for commercial use... you'll just need to check each person's Rules/ToU/License, or contact them directly if they don't specifically mention that.

EDIT: It's always a good idea to take screenshots of the Rules/ToU/License for the resources you download, and stick them in the folders you create to store them, especially if you think you might use those resources in a commercial capacity, at a later date.
    Nice Collection, Thanks you for sharing. Also thanks for the tip on storing Rules/ToU/License resources. I use Zotero for bibliographic purposes but it gets difficult to search. Your method is much easier..

Quote Originally Posted by HansR View Post
    Nice Collection, Thanks you for sharing. Also thanks for the tip on storing Rules/ToU/License resources. I use Zotero for bibliographic purposes but it gets difficult to search. Your method is much easier..
    You're welcome.

There's always the Compass Rose font, for a quick and dirty solution.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"