Thread: How to make a RPG Map?

Help How to make a RPG Map?

I want to know how I can make an RPG map? I wanted to learn that style of mapping and if I can do it with Gimp so that it can help me plan for certain campaigns I may have with Star Wars and StarCraft. I thought it would be cool if you guys could teach me.

It's true, I am only using Gimp at the moment and I don't have any (per se) tiles to use for furniture and other props. I don't know how to get them either.

Heya, Saladin. Check out the tutorials section at the bottom of the forum. There are a ton of great ones down there. You might not find some super-specific to your needs but there are techniques in just about all of them that can be generally applied. Just give it a go and get stuck in.
    M

Hi Saladin, can you be a little more specific when you say RPG map? Are you thinking regional map, or dungeon or inn or what? If you can give a little more detail on what you want to do, I'm sure we can help you. Have you checked out the Tutorials area? Specifically, is there anything in this thread that might get you started?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mearirin
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Saladin, can you be a little more specific when you say RPG map? Are you thinking regional map, or dungeon or inn or what? If you can give a little more detail on what you want to do, I'm sure we can help you. Have you checked out the Tutorials area? Specifically, is there anything in this thread that might get you started?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mearirin
    I guess I mean something like a dungeon map, were it's top down and sort-of what you would set up on a tabletop and it is organized. I wanted to learn something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Heya, Saladin. Check out the tutorials section at the bottom of the forum. There are a ton of great ones down there. You might not find some super-specific to your needs but there are techniques in just about all of them that can be generally applied. Just give it a go and get stuck in.
    M
    That's not a bad idea. I will give that a good try and see what I can do once I read some tutorials.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

First you have to decide what type of Map your Wanting...
    I assume since you said "set up on tabletop" you are meaning a scaled "Battle Map" with grids.
    Do you want to print out the Maps?
    If so what size?
    Are you wanting Digital Format also?
    These are questions you want to answer before you start a map.

Everyone has a personal preference in colors, grid type, art style....I prefer more simplistic style...others prefer extremely detailed maps.
    Art style makes a difference also..I prefer one style art vs....Mixing artwork. Ie...If I use a Hand Drawn art pack I try and never add a photoshopped graphic if I can avoid it.
    What I mean by that is that if I am using a hand drawn graphic of a Desk..I don't add a cropped photo of a Cat on top of the desk.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]