Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vehlymahr

I really enjoy this style of map. I make attempts at a similar style and the hand drawn works. Love it

This is a very attractive map, John. I like the caterpillar mountains a lot, but what I think really adds to this is the hand-drawn parchment edges. Care to share your method for doing the texture?

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    That's a really cool mountain style. It's familiar, yet unique!

Every time I see a new mountain outta you, J, I feel like I have to try and mimic it.
    Thanks J
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambragol View Post
    This map totally succeeds. Simple, but evocative. Looking at it is a pleasure. I can't make any suggestions, as it just works.
    Thanks so much Cambragol
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Moon View Post
    I really enjoy this style of map. I make attempts at a similar style and the hand drawn works. Love it
    Thank you Raven There is a special quality, an evocativeness to traditionally drawn work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    This is a very attractive map, John. I like the caterpillar mountains a lot, but what I think really adds to this is the hand-drawn parchment edges. Care to share your method for doing the texture?

THW
    Thanks THW Not sure what you are asking regarding the parchment... are you asking for a method for the drawing of it? or the painting of the texture?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks THW Not sure what you are asking regarding the parchment... are you asking for a method for the drawing of it? or the painting of the texture?
    The painting of the texture.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Yeah, I totally dig this map. I really love that you've asked this map to answer questions beyond, "What are the geospatial relationships?" Though it's not always necessary, I always appreciate a map that feels like it came out of the world it is depicting a part of, and answers things like, who made it, and what was it used for.

Annotated maps for the win!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    The painting of the texture.

THW
    The texture is painted in photoshop. Most of it is done with a basic hard round brush and then blended with a blender brush.
    I use a multiply layer for dark features and a softlight layer for highlight features.
    I have a texture brush i made for getting just a bit of rougher unevenness in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Yeah, I totally dig this map. I really love that you've asked this map to answer questions beyond, "What are the geospatial relationships?" Though it's not always necessary, I always appreciate a map that feels like it came out of the world it is depicting a part of, and answers things like, who made it, and what was it used for.

Annotated maps for the win!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thanks Meshon
    I am trying to do more maps that have the feel of being 'from' the world not just about the world.
    I do think the annotations help a lot in getting that feel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123