Thread: My First Ever Finished Map

Map My First Ever Finished Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	819.7 KB 
ID:	85698

Created using various tutorials, mostly Ascension's (many thanks to all those tutorial authors!!!).

It's for an RPG campaign I'm running using DnD 5E ruleset. I tried to keep the naming conventions simple but evocative. Explanation is as follows:

- Jungles are inhabited by Wood Elf and Halfling tribes.
    - Mountains are inhabited by Dwarves, with Orcs fighting for control. Major Dwarf cities are named after semi precious stones (e.g. "Palace of Jade")
    - Frostlings (gnomes) live in isolated communities, away form all the chaos. Cities are named after icy geographical features (e.g. "Sleetfall")
    - High Elves live in isolated pockets where they grow special flowers for a narcotic substance they're addicted to. Cities are named after flowers.
    - Humans from a large, desert empire down south migrated to the coastline and intermarried with local Elvish tribes of the coast, founding cities named after trees and woods, in honour of the maritime traffic that forms the lifeblood of these communities.
    - Islands are generally named after meteorological phenomena or celestial features, as the humans worship a pantheon emphasising elemental forces and celestial bodies (they're from the desert, so their ancestors spent a lot of time contemplating the landscape and the sky, and began worshipping those features).

Any thoughts or feedback are very much welcome!

Welcome to the Guild, Teh Tarek!

Wonderful job on your first map! Will be giving you some rep for it as soon as I've posted this!

The only crit I can offer is that the black/dark labels on the dark green terrain are a bit difficult to read (especially the smallest ones). But those smallest labels really make me smile... I think it's so interesting and fascinating that those locations/regions are named after animal parts! "Snail's Ear" in particular made me laugh.

Really nice job on this!!! I especially, like Neyjour, like the river names~but they are a bit hard to read against the dark background. I'll rep you on this

Very nice! The terrain looks awesome!!

p.s. be careful with Papyrus font as it is dreadfully overused.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Its a lovely map, and since everyone else has already said what I was going to say, I'll just give you the rep for it

What a thoroughly interesting back story. I never thought of elves as being addicted to anything before, but I suppose I should learn to move with the times! LOL

Thank you all, for the comments

I did get some feedback about the dark text on dark terrain when I posted this some time ago as a WIP.

I decided to keep the dark-on-dark because of the purpose of the map. I want to print a 12 inch x 12 inch photographic version and give it to my RPG players to pore over when deciding where to go next. The obscurity of the name labels shoudl help convey the "dark" feeling of these jungle islands. Also, the large photographic print should help make the labels clear.

The geography really lends itself to some incredible sea adventures in the middle of the map. Great work.