Thread: Hello

Post Hello

writing a post to introduce myself.

I'm interested in the topic mostly because of my interest in RPG and the desire to create fun and interesting maps for use in campaigns. For me, there needs to be a balance between how good my maps are and that they need to be done! I'm just getting started in this part of the RPG hobby, I've spent maybe two months learning about the tools, methods, and different kinds of results. In that time, I've focused on drawing continents, with features like mountains, rivers, coastlines (or course), forests and other types of landscapes one would expect to find. I've also spend time looking at google earth for inspiration. I don't like maps that don't make sense from the geographical sense.

I've been using Corel Painter because I purchased a Wacom medium size pad, and it came with a free copy of Painter essentials (which is pretty limited). I have not purchased Painter, however, and my 1 month trial has expired. I've downloaded GIMP to learn more about it at this point.

That's all for now.

Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom, welcome and thanks for introducing yourself.

Gimp's a great piece of software. I use it myself, and the tablet makes a huge difference. The interface is a bit weird to start with (I always switch to 'Single Window mode' - I can't stand those floating docks!) Check out some tutorials on Youtube if you need to get to know the basics of the program, or take a look in our Tutorials/How To section if you want some Gimp-specific mapping tutorials to try out. There are loads of Gimp users in the forum, so just ask if you're stuck with something.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Well, I now have GIMP and Corel painter. I'll post my first map and an update to that one over the weekend. It was done in painter. I submitted the map to a contest on Sellsword.net, for fun. I didn't make it to the top ten, but I learned a lot.

Oh, that's cool! Nate, the organiser of the Sellsword contest, posted about it here. Doesn't matter if you didn't win. You learned a lot and I bet you made a map that you were pleased with. That feeling of satisfaction is unbeatable!

You might want to take a look at our challenges. We run a 'Regular Challenge' from the beginning of the month till the end, and we also do a Lite Challenge that runs from the middle of the month. If you're a relative beginner, the Lite Challenge might be better for you, but there's nothing stopping you entering the regular either. The challenges are heaps of fun and, whilst the winner gets a compass under their name, they aren't really about acquiring badges. The real goal is to push yourself a little and try things you might not have otherwise. If you enjoyed the Sellsword contest, these might be right up your street. The community that takes part in the challenges are always welcoming and supportive to new people, so don't be shy!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"