Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snoring Dragon Inn WIP

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Snoring Dragon Inn WIP

I'm working on a large inn to be used on encounter and battle maps for various RPG systems (should basically work with every fantasy setting, like DSA, D&D5 or Pathfinder). So far I've got a basic shape, windows, and the basic floor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snoring Dragon Inn V1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	702.7 KB 
ID:	88554
    Last edited by Wired; 10-17-2016 at 02:59 PM.

That's a good start Wired!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That's a good start Wired!
    Thank you!

Here's an update.

Name:	Snoring Dragon Inn.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	864.6 KB 
ID:	88618

Name:	Snoring Dragon Inn.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	88672

So, another update.

It looks great, even the dishes do you depict. I suppose that there will be a second fire place in the kitchen? If I were the architect of the house, I would not place the fire place on an outer corner of the building, where two bordering walls would lead the heat outside. I would rather place it where now the stairs are, so that from one side the kitchen could use it for cooking and from the other side you can use it as oven for the guests and the chimney could transport the heat upstairs so that some rooms are warmed. Don't know if it's too late for such a change by now, though. Adding a second fireplace in the kitchen would work around the problem and could be explained as a symbol of wealth. The textures look good and natural, nothing to criticize.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Looking great so far...

What are you using to make the Map?
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    It looks great, even the dishes do you depict. I suppose that there will be a second fire place in the kitchen? If I were the architect of the house, I would not place the fire place on an outer corner of the building, where two bordering walls would lead the heat outside. I would rather place it where now the stairs are, so that from one side the kitchen could use it for cooking and from the other side you can use it as oven for the guests and the chimney could transport the heat upstairs so that some rooms are warmed. Don't know if it's too late for such a change by now, though. Adding a second fireplace in the kitchen would work around the problem and could be explained as a symbol of wealth. The textures look good and natural, nothing to criticize.
    Hey, danke! That's a great suggestion and something that totally wasn't on my radar so far, but from a design POV it makes immense sense. If I place the large fireplace and the kitchen fireplace back to back (with a wall in between) and switch the place of the stairwell... not only does it work more logically, it also makes things easier for me to draw! Cool! So muss das gehen. Danke!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
    Looking great so far...

What are you using to make the Map?
    Thank you.
    Primarily I use Photoshop with the help from a few textures from Texturelib.com that I've changed (read: fiddled with, turned into seamless versions, partially painted over and ran them through a few filters) to suit my needs. The ground outside is a mix of two seamless texture patterns, adjusted for hue and saturation. Contrary, the interior floor is completely hand-drawn. The bar is a mix of hand-drawn elements and Dundjinni elements which suffered a treatment by a hacksaw, two brushes and PS filters. I generally try not to include unchanged Dundjinni elements due to the uncertain copyright situation (some authors offer theirs for all uses, some don't), so not using them or just using them as templates for your own stuff to draw over feels like the safer route to me.

Question: is the floor inside okay or would you guys suggest changes?

That's developing nicely, Wired ! And I can only second the idea of a shared fireplace.

Hey Wired, glad I could be of help.
    Concerning the inside floor: I love it, the shape of the tiles is gorgeous.
    I have a thought about the coloring of them, though, yet are not sure which way to go. The thing is: If you've got carpet on the floor and you walk over the same areas all the time they darken by the years. I wonder if a similar effect will appear with tiles. However, I don't know if they would get darker or lighter (because of intense cleaning?). Maybe you could use this effect to slightly indicate common walking ways inside the room such as from the kitchen to the bar table or to the stairs and the door. I think you need to be careful with that if you want to try it so you don't overdo it. Just a slight hint would be fine, I suppose.

Hey there, here's a new WIP.

Name:	Snoring Dragon Inn Preview1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	88902

I've made some additions and changes regarding the floor, added doors and furniture (a big thanks to the tireless Bogie for many of those pieces!), started on the barn and switched the stairwell and the fireplace. Not yet (fully) done: kitchen (+ fireplace + sink), barn, lighting, smaller details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast