Thread: Empty Book

Question Empty Book

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to cartography. I know almost as little as I can possibly know. I can't even draw a proper doodle of a map. I'm currently working on a story that I hope to turn into a comic. I would really like to be able to draw a map for my world, but I'm hopeless as I am. All of the tutorials I've seen so far seem to be for those who have already achieved some level of understanding. I'm an empty book, so I need all the help I can get. I need to start on paper and I don't have Photoshop.

If anyone can help me or at least point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it. I apologize if I sound pathetic. I'm not very good at searching the internet...

I will continue to search on my own. If I do find something, I'll take down this thread. Additionally, if I have accidentally misused this site by posting this, please let me know.

I'd like to try and help you a little bit ! If you're not in a hurry, send me what you need done and I'll give it a shot.
    Here's my contact : thomrey-at-hotmail-dot-com

A little practice cannot hurt

I tried to send an email. I'm not sure if it went through. If you have any tips you can give me here, I would appreciate it.

Welcome to the guild!
    Don't be shy to post some of your work, we're a friendly group here. We'll offer advice where we can.

Check out this youtube channel for pencil and paper maps: Quest Atlas
    And like Thomrey said, practice!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Welcome to the guild!
    Don't be shy to post some of your work, we're a friendly group here. We'll offer advice where we can.

Check out this youtube channel for pencil and paper maps: Quest Atlas
    And like Thomrey said, practice!
    Wow Thanks so much. These are cool.

You might find this page helpfull LINK. You could also search for things like 'maps', 'fantasy maps', 'hand drawn maps' and such in google and just have a good look at the results. You'll surely find some things that you like. Just grab a pen and a piece of paper and try to copy the things you like. You'll get a feel for it and then you can use what you've learned for your own map.

You can also have a look at these tutorials for coastal regions, canyons, small islands and trees.

When you start with your map you can always share your progress here on the forums. You will get great feedback and advice from people.

I hope this is helpful.

Our long-missing CL delgondahntelius started a tutorial a while back...

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3013

It's not finished unfortunately, but you might get something out of it. And who knows, perhaps delgondahntelius might magically reappear to offer some advice.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks so much for the help, guys ^-^ I think I'll be able to at least make a decent start.