Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sagus Cliffs

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is starting to look really interesting mate, and I'm glad you're gonna work on the sea texture next. Until now the city seems like it's floating over a sea of blue clouds, but I'm sure that'll get fixed in your next update.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

This is really nice to see your process, you've built it up quite nicely, looking forward to seeing this process continued. Great job, thanks for sharing

Water!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SagusClr09.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	87927

As it jumps into sight (mexican expression), water color has been changed. I'm a sucker for turquoise so most of the water I do tends to go that way...

I've decreased the contrast intensity on light vs deep (it was too bright) and changed white into turquoise. I've also added white lines and some more texture near the rocks that are supposed to be surf, which is nearly absent n shadowy areas because it's lacks the sun to cast reflection and be more visible. I use the PS ripple effect BEFORE I add the hand strokes and textures, this softens the PS effect and makes it more "personal".

Most building leves have been colored and "beveled", also I've started detailing the streets, mostly highlinghting them to bring up important zones.

Name:	SagusClr10.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	87928

Now I've finished all building volumes and continued with the tedious (thou way more fun) coloring of some "random" individual buildings). I'm a colorful guy so I always try and include some lively colors on some rooftops. This is a considerable amount of extra work (a whole bunch of new layers) even if you use the previous volume contour to mask the buildings, mostly if you don't want to see all colors clumped together you have to espace them out nicely.

As you can see NOW it does starts to look like a like a decent map (finally!)

Next: Adding depth and final details.

Final steps!

My last steps are overall shading and highlighting. I wait for this 'til the end to flatten the image and use the Burn tool (protecting the tones), which may be the fastest (thou not the finest) way of shading. I use the Dodge tool to highlight (same pros and cons as Burn). A better way (but a tad slower) to shade/highlight using "tricks" (rather than doing it "properly" with color tones) is using layer effects as overexpose and darken, thou you have to nail the right tones and sometimes such effects change color tones in certain areas, so you have to be selective and careful.

An important note on the shading process (on this particular map) is that I'd had loved to do sharper edges. This makes a more interesting shadow but I had so many shapes all around that doing so would imply LOTS of careful studying to properly outline the shapes, and I didn't had much time to do so... So I went for a softer (and faster) effect.

Then, I go crazy adding contours which adds LOTS of sharpness to the image. Any professional illustrator will tell you NOT to use pure white but on the brightest lights, but this is another one of my quirks and I think it kinda passes fine, mostly because I use lots of contrasts and highly saturated colors, so the pure white "blends" in appropriately (my personal opinion). A more proper way to do contours is to use the base color of the object against the shaded edge, but on cartography details are so tiny that this detailing simple gets lost, so that's why I use pure white.

Then I add the tags. Something that on commissions is a little bit tricky, mostly because usually that's the part with the less creative freedom. Normally all publishers have a standard procedure with borders (that of not using any) and that's the feature on the map that shines for beign absent. One of the main priorities on gaming maps is to be perfectly readable, aftewards comes beauty. Functionality over artistry. Framing borders usually "isolate" maps in a layout and tends to mismatch from themed borders on the manuscript's layout, so many publishers avoid them.

On the artistry part this map was an exception. It was specifically requested to look more like an illustration. One of those rare and happy exceptions

After this step is finished, it goes for another revision, which is most welcomed since this semi-final revision gives a final chance to the "finished" map to "breathe" for a later quick fix up.

Name:	SagusClr11.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	88122

Also, after flattening the illo, I play with the tones and saturation a bit (as you may have noticed). I do this with a top layer (under the keys) so that the whole thing has the same hue, along with the outlines. Thes helps to make the whole image look a bit more blended. This can also sature the colors, something I really like but I'm one of those exceptions with oversly colorful stuff. So it's not a common feature...

After the map returns with the final changes/corrections (mostly on tags), I give that one final shined up. This final touch up is only to overall color and lighting, thou I do notify the commissioner about these minor tweaks. So far I've never had any complains about this "final" non-revised modifications since it doesn't mess with anything important (but ALWAYS notify the commisioner of modifications after approvals, even if minor).

On Compass roses: Oh boy... The simpler the better. This feature follows the same line of borders, you can't get too creative with those because most of the time you'll be requested to simplify it. Why? Well, it can look like a logo or something really meaningful (theme-attached) and it can interfere with the product's storyline and also (and mainly) because it's easier to maintain uniformity between products when the commissioned maps have simple feature designs. So, keeping it simple saves lots of time. OR! The publisher already has a nice and ornated "personal" compass rose that they give you to add on your maps. Of course there are always exceptions and some publishers will be very happy with ornated compassess, but I'd recommend to ask first).

Again, this map was one of those happy exceptions when I was able to sneak a lightly ornated compass rose.

FINAL MAP

Name:	SagusClr12.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	88123

I hope this was helpful.

Feel free to ask anything about the process!

PS: Sorry for taking soooo long to finish this, it's been a busy month!
    Last edited by Hugo Solis; 09-30-2016 at 02:18 PM.

WOW! Amazing work. I do everything by hand not on digital medium and this makes me want to up my game. I am working on a city at the moment and it gives me a few ideas to work on. I like how when you step away for a moment to let things "breath" and then return after having let the back of your mind think about things for a bit. I do that too, I have about three projects working at the same time so I can step away from one and return to another. I finished a city sketch and am returning to a continent map this week so when I return to my city map I may just add a few of the visual ques you have used as well. (its in pencil for a reason). Awesome work thanks for sharing.

Hmm, quite a few of your city maps already sit in my inspiration folder. I think they now have some extra company. This is incredible; I feel like it is possible to really visualise this city and how it must look to its inhabitants. Great work.

The strong contrast and sharp linework are things which, in lesser hands, would look bad, but I think you handle them well.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thans Raven Moon and Hoarse Whisperer

I'm glad you went through your process Hugo.
    It was cool to see your workflow and to see the sketch process.
    This thread is an asset to the Guild.

Excellent, and thanks for sharing. You have a unique and very pleasant style! I love the sense of depth of this fantastic city.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123