Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Hangman Harbor

Wip WIP - Hangman Harbor

This will be my third map. It's of Hangman Harbor (or Harbour depending ), a small tropical harbor with a hamlet that is included in my first map Scuttle Island. I started this last week and have been STRUGGLING with it since then. So much so that I have been putting off starting this WIP thread (and still am questioning if I should). I'm so disappointed with my results (I've scrapped quite a few drafts) - to me, this is borderline embarrassing. Oh well. Onward!

Right now I've decided to just focus on the water, so please disregard the vegetation, etc. I have the basic shape of the harbor and the few small cays that poke through. I'm happy with that much. I'm trying to capture the look and feel of Palau and I'm including a few pictures here for reference.

I AM VERY MUCH LOOKING FOR ADVICE HERE. Suggestions, pointers, techniques...anything you're all willing to give me. PLEASE.

I love the colors, the look and feel and I'm trying to capture the detail of the sandy shallows, the spots where rock(s) creeps up and then the depth of the deeper water.
    Palau Reference Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palau-009.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	87586

Name:	shive_palau_101210_4131.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	87587

Name:	rock-islands-palau-45.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	87588

And now for my current draft. Ugh. Here I have green and blue highlights. I tried not to go overboard with the height of my bevel/emboss since these are shallows. Like I said, I continue to struggle here so PLEASE chime in with advice, suggestions or comments.
    Current Draft

Name:	Hangman Harbor Z.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	6.21 MB 
ID:	87589

A few times over the past week I had to step back from the harbor. I started working on some buildings. Nothing special or fancy. Saw it as an opportunity to do something I could potentially use and get some practice in too. I bought a cheap tablet/pen and have been messing around with that. These are by no means final, just POC really.

Buildings

Name:	Buildings 3.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	87590
    Last edited by ajrittler; 09-13-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Oh I can see why you want to map this place. Its beautiful

Though I probably won't be much help (not being a PS user) I will certainly be waiting to see how it develops

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh I can see why you want to map this place. Its beautiful

Though I probably won't be much help (not being a PS user) I will certainly be waiting to see how it develops
    Thanks Mouse! Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the best technique to approach this. Check back!

Wip Update for today

I continue to struggle with getting the water and shallows even close to what I want. Here's where I'm at currently. I'm using many different layers and techniques here. The shallows have a bit of a sandy texture now and the green has been removed. I'm trying to add in bits of green and rockiness but, it hasn't looked good. To the left there are some sunken depressions in the sand (darker blue) - I think these look ok. To the right I added some raised areas, these didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.

Again, looking for some suggestions if you all have them! Thanks for looking!

As before, disregard the vegetation & land. Just messing around with my pen. These layers won't be staying.
    Current Draft

Name:	Hangman Harbor v2.0.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	6.63 MB 
ID:	87603

Oh I don't know I think that's rather magnificent for a map you've only just started. I doubt that even the experts here do everything exactly right the first time things appear on a new map... with perhaps the odd exception! LOL

The only thing I would do to change anything is tone down the sharpness of the line between the edge of the water and the sandy beaches around the islands - but that's just my take on the map, and may not be what you want

I've done a fair amount of snorkeling in the Caribbean and I think you have nailed the shallow water with the ripples and darker areas. It looks very realistic.

I would second Mouses comment that the water to sand transition should be softer. Not just around the little islands where it is most noticeable, but also along the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh I don't know I think that's rather magnificent for a map you've only just started. I doubt that even the experts here do everything exactly right the first time things appear on a new map... with perhaps the odd exception! LOL

The only thing I would do to change anything is tone down the sharpness of the line between the edge of the water and the sandy beaches around the islands - but that's just my take on the map, and may not be what you want
    Thanks Mouse! I see what you mean with where the beach and water meet. you're right. I'll have to somehow figure out how to feather the sand into the water vs. an actual coastline.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I've done a fair amount of snorkeling in the Caribbean and I think you have nailed the shallow water with the ripples and darker areas. It looks very realistic.

I would second Mouses comment that the water to sand transition should be softer. Not just around the little islands where it is most noticeable, but also along the beach.
    Thanks Bogie for the input! Yeah, I never realized that little detail. Tonight I'll try to get that cleaned up. fingers crossed!

Blog Entries

not bad , i like it . The ripples are good but the shallow water looks a bit TOO evenly close to the shore

maybe some more noise in it .
    Maybe something like this very quick image
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 09-14-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks for the feedback johnvanliet! I see what you mean. I'll give it a try tonight. I would like to see some more lighter blue show up here and there.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast