Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troll Mountain

Wip Troll Mountain

This map is based on the book by Matthew Reilly TROLL MOUNTAIN, a short story which I read then sketched the elements. I'm trying something different with the Forbidden Mountain Cave - I've show the interior of the cave as well as the outside, not sure if it's working, comments welcome.

The story is of a young boy, who's sister has become ill with a disease that is spreading throughout the region, the Troll King has found the cure and is using it as a bargaining chip with the surrounding populations. This young boy sets out to steal the elixir for his sister and his town.

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrollMtn4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	86854

Lovely map, Snodsy. You're making me want to read this book

If you are asking about the cave interior working, then I would say... kind of.

Just an idea, but do you think putting a more defined edge around the cut-away section would make it pop back into the hillside a bit more? You know - like those complicated engineering drawings where there's an irregular cut away section of some major part to show the inner workings?

What's a "Rescue Dum"

I like the tree shading and, I don't know why, your mountains kind of make me think of the ones Abu Lafia draws. They're not the same but, to me, they share some DNA.

About the cave, maybe try to make the cut pop a little bit more.

Beside this, once again, it's a great map ! Do you ever rest ?

Wip

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrollMtn5.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	86866

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I like the tree shading and, I don't know why, your mountains kind of make me think of the ones Abu Lafia draws. They're not the same but, to me, they share some DNA.

About the cave, maybe try to make the cut pop a little bit more.

Beside this, once again, it's a great map ! Do you ever rest ?
    Thanks Mouse/Thomrey, I'll define that edge better, thanks. Thomrey If I'm being compared to Abu Lafia in anyway, I'll take that as a huge compliment.

Added color and the outline of the inner cave?
    Last edited by snodsy; 08-22-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: forgot image

Another great map Snodsy! The cave looks really cool, as well as the castle. Kinda makes me want to read the book.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is wonderful Snodsy
    The color work is spot on, as always and the feel of height in the perspective is good.
    I applaud the variety you have been pursuing lately. Keep it up. Love it.

Edit - darn... must spread rep. I will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is wonderful Snodsy
    The color work is spot on, as always and the feel of height in the perspective is good.
    I applaud the variety you have been pursuing lately. Keep it up. Love it.

Edit - darn... must spread rep. I will be back.

Thanks guys appreciate it!! I was wondering what people might think of the perspective, Bird's Eye View - I was trying to get an effect of going from almost a top view to a more front perspective in the background to make you feel like your flying over top of it, so if you look straight down you would see the beginning of the journey and looking out/upward you see the journey in front of you and where you have to go. I was pretty happy with the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I was wondering what people might think of the perspective, Bird's Eye View - I was trying to get an effect of going from almost a top view to a more front perspective in the background to make you feel like your flying over top of it, so if you look straight down you would see the beginning of the journey and looking out/upward you see the journey in front of you and where you have to go. I was pretty happy with the effect.
    Yes, it works. But it would work even better if the tree trunks on the closer woodlands were not just as long as the trunks in the background - more top view down... if you see what I mean?

Sigh! I too must learn to be more generous with my rep giving!!!

The latest frontier of the cut perfectly does the job for me.

Really nice!

Makes me want to play Ghosts 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Thanks so much for posting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast