Thread: My very first map

Map My very first map

Hello everyone, This is my first map I've done and I'm incredibly stoked about it. Its a small Northern wilderness type setting for a small campaign I'm about to run. Critiques would be much appreciated, I'd really like to get good at this. I haven't fallen into art like this in years. took about 2 1/2 days to complete, pencil and paper. Got pretty good at drawing tiny pine trees by the end of it :p

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	86907

Sorry about the crap quality :/
    I dont have a scanner

The quality looks pretty good to me.

My main negative critiques however if I may:

You seems to use 2 different styles of mountains, with is simpler than the other. The two are fine used independently but not so much on the same map.

The other thing is the river network. I believe they are some mistakes (if the map follows the laws of physics) but I'm not sure since we can't really see where the rivers are going in some places. They seems to be going under mountains, which is impossible unless there is a valley or something like that.

Thank you for the response
    Yeaah with the two independant moutians i found a tutorial on how to do those midway through the map, i figured the really simple would look pretty bad on their own and wanted to try spmething else. Id go back and do the range right but.. Itd probably look bad woth the easer marks.
    Rivers are something im struggling with. When it cuts through the moutain its supposed to be a valley but it doent show it.. And the low land swampy bog area doesnt make much sense either. With the river coming from the lake and rejoining i realized my miste of putting a lake in the middle of no where, which caused that moutain behind it and then i figures it being close to the other river itd spawn its own stream and.. Yeah. I think next time i nees to figure out the lay of the land before putting the river in.. The river and moutains were the first things i drew.
    Im really stoked to get better at this, thanks again for the comment

Holy god i cant type on phones D:

Azelor hit up the points I was going to make so I'll just say congrats on completing your first map. It's a great first effort. Now that you've learned some new techniques the next one will be even better.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That's good for first try ! I'll second Azelor's comments and add that you did a pretty good terrain.

Very nice first map. The two mountain styles are well executed, but as said before, I wouldn't use them in the same map in the future. Well done!

-Dan

You have a good reason to be stoked, it looks wonderful! I agree with the others about the mountains though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some more maps from you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Since the rivers and the mountains have been pointed out ... no need to go over those again. The more maps you draw the better you get at it. but for a first time try the artistic style of the maps is great ... i love both the mountain types you got.. the lower one is the better of the two. Overall... keep at it Kudos Repped!