Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission Ryetelth

Map Commission Ryetelth

Well it's been a busy summer and I haven't really been around for a while, but I have been working on several projects. Here's a commission I finished a few months back. This map was commissioned by Voyager World, the publisher of Christopher Rowley's book series Battle Dragons Battle Dragons. This was the first map I've made using Krita, which is a free, crowd sourced funded paint program. I still have a lot to learn about the program and its capabilities, but I must say that I was impressed with just how powerful the program is. There are a number of very useful tools in this program that I haven't seen elsewhere (such as the Multibrush Tool, which has a wide range of applications for fantasy cartography). Still, the program has some quirks. It tends to have a bit of lag time when using larger brushes or working with a large canvass. Also, as of right now there is no way (at least that I've found) to stroke a selection, which is a real drawback. But these issues notwithstanding I think it is a great program with a lot of potential. I will continue to explore the program in the months to come.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryetelth Final Image Small..png 
Views:	562 
Size:	6.76 MB 
ID:	86931  

Looks great! That ocean is beautiful. How did you do it?
    Really cool swords and shield as well. Overall a simple but incredible map.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Arsheesh, I'll never get enough of your maps and, as Josiah said, the ocean is wonderful. I'm trying to get something similar on a project, I'll see if can manage.
    I love the shapes of your landmasses, they seem really natural, the flow of the rivers, too. And the border and title are, once again, a win. I won't even talk about the balance of the colors through the map. Wonderful piece !

Very nice Arsheesh. So smooth and clean.
    I like the water. And all the variations in trees and such is quite nice.
    The sword/shield is a nice addition too.

Really good looking! Love the ocean and the continents shape, swords&shields are awesome too!

Beautiful work, Arsheesh! I love the gentle colours and the ocean looks fab.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Krita. I've dabbled with it a few times, but I always run up against its shortcomings and end up going back to Gimp (partly because I'm far more familiar with Gimp too. It's just easier!) Krita's just finished another round of fund-raising, I believe, and they're fully committed to further development, so it's definitely one to watch. The software is only going to get better.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Member

That's a really, REALLY lovely map, nice work.

I love the shape of the land and the way you have drawn the forests. Stunning

I will echo what the other posters already said. Very good looking map.
    And thanks for telling us about that software. Sounds awesome. Looking forward to what you will do with it.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Beautiful colors, nice frame, excellent map!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Looks great! That ocean is beautiful. How did you do it?
    Really cool swords and shield as well. Overall a simple but incredible map.
    Thank you Josiah. For the ocean I just applied several layers of paint to build up the lightened shallow areas. I'm glad you like the shield and swords as well, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Arsheesh, I'll never get enough of your maps and, as Josiah said, the ocean is wonderful. I'm trying to get something similar on a project, I'll see if can manage.
    I love the shapes of your landmasses, they seem really natural, the flow of the rivers, too. And the border and title are, once again, a win. I won't even talk about the balance of the colors through the map. Wonderful piece !
    Thank you so much thomrey! I look forward to seeing what you are doing with the ocean in your upcoming piece.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Very nice Arsheesh. So smooth and clean.
    I like the water. And all the variations in trees and such is quite nice.
    The sword/shield is a nice addition too.
    Thanks so much J! Appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Really good looking! Love the ocean and the continents shape, swords&shields are awesome too!
    Thank you Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Beautiful work, Arsheesh! I love the gentle colours and the ocean looks fab.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Krita. I've dabbled with it a few times, but I always run up against its shortcomings and end up going back to Gimp (partly because I'm far more familiar with Gimp too. It's just easier!) Krita's just finished another round of fund-raising, I believe, and they're fully committed to further development, so it's definitely one to watch. The software is only going to get better.
    I'm still pretty new to Krita so I'm not sure If I'm in the best position to give a good review of it. Initial thoughts however are that the program has a lot of potential but that there are a couple of annoying quirks and limitations that need to be worked out in future releases (the delay time is really irksome). I'll play around with the program some more and perhaps give a more in depth review at a latter time.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendRover View Post
    That's a really, REALLY lovely map, nice work.

I love the shape of the land and the way you have drawn the forests. Stunning
    Thank you so much ReverendRover!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I will echo what the other posters already said. Very good looking map.
    And thanks for telling us about that software. Sounds awesome. Looking forward to what you will do with it.
    Thank you Eilathen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Beautiful colors, nice frame, excellent map!
    Glad you think so Ilanthar!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast