Thread: the Desolation of Astudan

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default the Desolation of Astudan

Here's the latest map in the ATLAS ELYDEN series, detailing a largely empty expanse. Funny how it took me so long to finish...

I've added a few new features, including the rock desert ( semi circle patterns) as well as a faint bevel/emboss texture to the land to give the impression of more detailed elevation. Let me know what you think!

Remember, if you become a patron you gain access to exclusive content like High-res maps, textless maps as well as more background and history about the world of Elyden.

Aptly named, this region, which exists as a buffer between west and east, and south and north, is an expanse of cold stone deserts characterised by wind-worn rock formations and boulder fields and very little else. The lands of Astudan are unclaimed by most, though there exists an oasis of culture in its south-east that has as its nucleus the legendary city of Gâtha.

Gâtha is an independent city-state that begun life as a Korachani colony that busied itself mining lodestones, but after high-yield mines were exhausted in c. 3350 RM, Korachan left the region under the leadership of the Interreges. The city experienced a renaissance of sorts decades later and once more became an autonomous region. It attracted adventurers, halfbloods, outlaws, other races, and explorers from far regions, many of whom settled there and its diversity remains a defining feature to this day.

Sabia is situated to the north east of Astudan. Located across the polar circle has made its people hardy and hard workers. Its fishing fleets are well-equipped to navigate the frigid waters of the Bielost and the Sea of Daggers to the north and are legendary for their prowess at hunting whales and sea serpents and it is a major manufacturer of whale oil and ambergris. Like many other regions it was once a target of the Korachani empire, which was interested by its large deposits of meteore under the Echanem mountains. That unfortunate past of servitude and subjugation is now in the past and Sabia enjoys its independence.

Being situated along the Nullambit makes it a place largely neutral to the Firmament and the Penumbra and its lands and culture are also free of their influence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 - Desolation of Astudan - small.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	4.99 MB 
ID:	86975

Another great example of your Atlas Style V.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

thanks for the comments

I'm starting work on a large poster map bringing all these maps together soon. hopefuly it'll be done by the end of the year

Looks great Nate! Will you get back to the finished map to add the new features and bevel as well or will you leave the finished maps for what they are (which is already outstanding btw!)

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Looks great Nate! Will you get back to the finished map to add the new features and bevel as well or will you leave the finished maps for what they are (which is already outstanding btw!)

-Dan
    I'm actually going over them now. I've already finished 4 of them and will continue till i get the others done. Generally, when i make a global change to the style like this i like to get the previous maps updates as quickly as possible as it's quite boring work. Having said that there's a couple of the earlier maps that I'll probably go back and change more thoroughly at some point (the Korachan and Pelasgos ones if anyone's wondering - the first 2 I made) as I've added so many little changes with each map that they're looking a bit different.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Beautiful. I particularly love the colour palette, the layout and the typography.

If I were to nitpick I'd say that the mountain ranges' labels are sometimes hard to read when they overlap with borders (as for the Rattranem mountains).

But otherwise the map is astonishing.
    Can't wait to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by onez View Post
    Beautiful. I particularly love the colour palette, the layout and the typography.

If I were to nitpick I'd say that the mountain ranges' labels are sometimes hard to read when they overlap with borders (as for the Rattranem mountains).

But otherwise the map is astonishing.
    Can't wait to see more!
    thanks.

those labels are actually something I've been trying to change though so far I haven't been able to come up with something I'm keen on. Though it's certainly something I;m aware of as many borders lie along mountains