Thread: Tomb of the High King

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Tomb of the High King

So, this originally was my entry for the August 2016 Map Challenge, and after some revisions and a lot of playing around with colors, light and shade, adding clutter, adding monsters... here it is: the final version.

Tomb of the High King: A Dwarven Dungeon

Once he reigned as High King of legend, but long gone are those days of glory. Buried in the great tomb beneath the wooded slopes of the Black Mountains lie the bones of Throtgar Ironfist and, rumor has it, riches untold. Yet the High King was as relentless in life as he is in death. And even though the main gates have been battered down, countless traps and dangers litter the great, dark halls: monstrous beasts, the spirits of Ironfists former servants bound in eternal servitude, undying machines and crumbling stones alike may quickly end the overzealous adventurer's life. And it is said that who ever steals from the High King's hidden vault may incur his wrath...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tomb_of_the_high_king_by_stratomunchkin-dag5r1h.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	87247
    Last edited by Wired; 09-03-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Wow, that looks so different. I think it looks really great with that fiery glow!

It certainly looks a lot better

I find the additions a real nice touch but ... light-wise, I find your glows way too big for my taste, way too luminous. But it's just a matter of opinion, the map is a little jewel.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wow, that looks so different. I think it looks really great with that fiery glow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It certainly looks a lot better
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I find the additions a real nice touch but ... light-wise, I find your glows way too big for my taste, way too luminous. But it's just a matter of opinion, the map is a little jewel.
    Thanks, everybody. I had to find a balance for the lights that represented what the map was all about. That's why you have those deep, luminous swaths of light emanating from large, hot braziers, lighting the rooms in a reddish-yellow glow. The Hall of the Silent Guardians has those tall, Moria-ish pillars with enough room to let the light shine far and wide. And the Haunted Forge... well, it's canalized rivers of hellish-hot lava feeding the forges, so I wanted the lights to give the viewers a feeling for the incredible heat that's filling the room.

Wired this map is so cool! I can totally see using this in my D&D campaign! big thumbs up. sorry, can't rep you right now!