Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climate World map

Ok I'M going to take a stab at it.

Some general points:

• Tundra is usually colder than subarctic (or part of it). I can’t guess what it’s supposed to be.
    • Is temperate arid like grassland? (Mongolia, Kazakhstan) or like the Mediterranean climate?
    • I presumed that hot humid was a monsoonal climate like in India or Southern China.
    • I can't differentiate well the colors between temperate arid and warm temperate.
    • I don’t know much about the elevation so climates might not be right at some places. In general I haven't taken in consideration the effect of elevation on temperature but I did use the rain shadow effect when I knew about the mountains.
    • In the south, climate would not be really continental so close to the open seas, think Europe or South America, or the coast of Antarctica peninsula were its tundra.

Was this made with Winkel tripel? I was wondering what the land/water proportion was. It does seem like there is a lot more land than on Earth just by looking at it. I'm kinda surprised to see how little the monsoon seems to be considering these large landmasses. They could go very far inland with the right conditions . There could be fewer deserts around the equator and at the tropics especially on the eastern sides of the continents.
    They would have a rainy season of different length. The hot/humid biome (halfway between a tropical forest and a savanna) would be more common in my opinion. The climate is kinda similar to India's Deccan forests for example.

The inner sea coastline is probably like the Mediterranean, north coast being colder and possibly more temperate but moving inland, the humidity drops. Unlike Europe, the continent has fewer sources of humidity. It has one from the south (like the Mediterranean) but only a narrow sea in the west and nothing from the north. It would be drier than Europe but since it’s also colder, overall, it could be humid enough to support forests. But I think that the temperate climate would be less common due to the latitude and the continentality (lack of enough water bodies around to moderate temperatures).

Massive anticyclone (cold and dry) in winter over Meniscea and possibly over all the northern landmsasses since the frozen sea contribute to the low temperatures (because it reflects all the light from the star) and thus it generate a high pressure system. In the east I added a summer monsoon. Maybe I’ve added a bit too much but I believe there is one in these two regions. The dry area in the east is there because of the rain shadow effect, but it’s mostly a steppe.

About the largest continent: The west reminds a lot of Africa. Moisture comes from the south and creates an extensive savanna. The vegetation can’t extend very far inland because the moist winds from the south eventually encounters the dry winds from the continent interior. About the tundra, in order to have a tundra at this latitude, supposing that the average temperature at sea level is between 28 and 30 Celsius, the region needs to be around 4000m high. Its possible but in any case, you would have a transition climate in some of the less arid regions. Sometimes, like in Tibet, it skips right from desert to tundra because it’s very dry, but it’s usually not the case.

I also played a bit with the eastern part of the same continent. There could be a large monsoon there and it would have a huge impact on the climate from sea to sea, unlike in Asia and in most other places in your would where it mostly affect one side of continent.
    I extended the desert north having the steppe only as a transition area.

Lastly, I did some small changes to the smallest continent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden climate - small copie.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	87790

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thanks for the comments, this must have taken quite some time to get your thoughts down! I needed something like this to give me more feedback. I was never convinced by Sammaea (the large 'African' continent) and was looking for realistic ways to change it and this seems right. I;m actually reading a bit more about the climate bands to implement them - this is far friom finished and is very much a WIP, pending feedback from people who know more about this.

the map is Wagner VII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12