Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: Phalanx: Aeris Velivolus

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Post Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: Phalanx: Aeris Velivolus

Okay, so it's a been a while since I last took part in a challenge or done too much in general. I may be a little late to the game in this one, but still going to give it a decent shot.

There's no WIP for this first post, so I better say a little more than the title. It took me a while to think up something to do for an arena. I was tempted by doing classic structures such as the Colosseum or the Stadium at Olympia, but also wanted to do something a bit different, so was scouring my brain for great fighting arenas from films, books and games etc. Eventually, I thought of perhaps one of the most epic in this regard, the classic PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus (if you haven't played it, then you are severely missing out on a true example of why video games can be as beautiful and moving as any work of art, so play it now! ).

Anywho, long story short, I chose to map the arena for perhaps the best fight from the game, the 13th Colossus: Phalanx. It's very open as arenas go I suppose, but it's still an arena of sorts, with ruins and rocky outlets scattered across. It's quite a simple map, but as I said, I left it a little late. Hopefully can still do it on time!

If all goes well, I'll post a WIP in the next couple of days.

*EDIT - as I said, it's been a while, so naturally I forgot to put the Aug/Sept thingy, so if some wizard can change this, I'd appreciate it *

Fixed the title for you, and it's good to see you back in the challenges. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea!

As I said before, hopefully I'll be able to produce something semi-decent for the deadline. Here's the start.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow of the Colossus Phalanx.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	87341

A very simple map itself, though it's still got a few more rocks and stuff to go in. Then hopefully some nice, more decorative side panels, kind of like my Roman map from logn ago.

Okay, since that last update was a bit meh, I thought I'd quickly add another one. The main map hasn't changed much, but I've started illustrative work and also a more landscape view of the area.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow of the Colossus Phalanx2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	87360

Really like what your doing, three views, corner icons are nice, great job so far, nothing much to say, but keep going, looking nice. Maybe the texture behind the closeup elevation is different from the bottom one? maybe not?

Thanks snodsy!

The texture is slightly different, so well spotted! It's not necessarily final at the moment though.

There are actually only going to be two views. The illustration on the right is of the main temple within the game and will just act as a art piece for the key to go around. (Or at least that's the plan! ).

Also, you've certainly been navigating your way to gain a few compasses since I last saw!

Welcome to the challenge! Interesting, very interesting.

Thanks for the welcome Bogie, it's been a while.

Here's another update. Illustrations are coming along. The map overview has moved on a bit, but mainly it's the illustration work that's progressed. The big beastie on the left is Phalanx itself, and though it isn't part of the overhead map, isn't actually too far off scale there (it's huuuuuuge!).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow of the Colossus Rough.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	87420

If the the overhead and landscape map end up being too simple, I may add a bit mroe artistic license to the landscape and build it up a bit, but at the moment I think it's fine.

Oh and everything is also still subject to change in terms of colours, textures, placement, etc. Phalanx definitely isn't done colour-wise and neither is the overhead map.

Feedback, etc, is more than welcome!
    Last edited by Greg; 09-08-2016 at 06:46 PM.

It's coming along nicely, though I have to admit I'm not a fan of the drop shadow on the title text. It's a bit too strong, IMO, and when you're zoomed out it only makes the title looked blurred and out of focus. I like what you're doing with this, and look forward to seeing some more.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks, ChickPea, I definitely agree with the drop shadow being a bit much, so I've toned it down here.

Not too much has majorly different in this update. I've tweaked some of the colours, added plenty more shadowing, and also the path that Phalanx takes during the fight. I've also done better versions of the stone temple and the rings in the landscape drawing in the bottom, which I think are a lot better than before.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow of the Colossus Map.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	87456

As for what's left to do, I'm not too sure. I may add some more highlights here and there. I'm still debating whether to colour in the landscape drawing or leave it as it is, so I'll probably give it a go and if I'm still not sure, upload it to see what anyone else thinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast