Hiya. I've been working through RobA's tuts for creating regional maps. I'm looking at the updated section on creating mountains. I have created the area selection for mountains, added the noise layer, and now filling the selection with gradient ahead of the embossing step. I have multiple areas in different shapes and sizes. The larger and wider areas fill with the gradient very nicely and I can see where the ridgeline or peaks come through very nicely. Unfortunately, the smaller the selection area, the darker the gradient. In some cases, the smaller selection areas show almost no change after the applyign the gradient. I am guessing the issue is with how fast the transition through colors as it builds the gradient. Small areas just get the dark colors and never make it to lighter ones (the gradient is black to white). I have fidgeted around with how far I pull the gradient and various settings but really cant seem to get much change. Any tips on how to control the gradient so the smaller areas show some ridges too?

Thanks.