So what I'm doing is building a Galactic Map that increases its scope from 50 ly, to 500 ly, to 5000 ly, to 50000 ly.
At the smallest scope I can include all the stars (2000 of them in 1400 systems), but larger scopes I'm not sure what to cut out/keep.

- O and B stars seem like they wouldn't be useful for anything and as such would be a good thing to drop.
- F and A stars might be ok for mining but not sure how they really rank, especially since it seems that most of their mass is likely to be tied up in Gas Giants and as such seems like they can be ignored. Even though F stars are said to be good candidates for life too.
- G and K stars I think are obvious that they need to be on the map.
- The problem is that Red Dwarfs, M stars, are 1500 of the stars and to me, they seem like you'd want to have them on a map for Mining, if not for the possibility of life.

If we include F, G, and K stars at the 500 ly scope, that's ~300,000 stars. which is way too many imo. So limiting stars by habitability doesn't seem like a good idea.
And then we face the same problem at the 5000 and 50000 ly scopes, because the same rules would produce that many stars times some magnitude higher.

Any ideas?