Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Haldeshar

I'll do this in two chunks... then i can use more emojis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Loving this map J. Edward. It makes me want to stare at it all day and daydream.
    Thanks Tny
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice work J.
    Thanks you Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Very inspiring! I have to repeat myself...your maps are Art (yes, with capital A ). I'm totally envious of that kind of skill. If i can rep. you, i will.

The only thing i'd wish for .... a higher resolution. I want to zoom in more...i want to see all the glorious detail!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, the exclamation-mark key was jammed... ).

No, seriously, beautiful map. As always.
    Hehe, thank you Eilathen. Very much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Oh wow, I think this is my new favourite map of yours. It's ticking all my boxes. Simply beautiful.
    Thanks ChickPea It is a much softer pleasant piece.
    Hopefully more like it will manifest when work slows down some.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    J.Edward, this is absolutely breathtaking! But then I have come to expect nothing less from you! I love the clouds, and I want to live in that castle. :-D

I also really love the color choice you made. It has a soft, fairytale feel that makes me want to write stories about the people that live here.... I could stair at this map all day long!
    Thank you Storm I like softer color palettes, but just don't do them as often.
    They can be very pleasant to create as well as to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    John, I keep repeating myself (there might even be a double post lingering on DA...) but your maps are, to me, the crown jewels of this site (no offense to the others great artists that roam these pages). I love the miyazakiesque atmosphere set by the watercolors, I love the clouds that give that special magic vibe and I love your borders that are always, not only a work of art but also a worthy jewel box for the gem you bring to us.
    Thanks Thomas. That is high praise indeed and very much appreciated too.
    I am trying to do some variations on borders lately, so there should be some more hand drawn borders coming, when work allows me the time.

And let me say - I am really happy this was so well received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Beautiful map. You really have your own great style for mountains and your illustrations are - as always - top notch. I think your really mastering the frames as well (the clouds on the top, such a great idea and render), and the water colors are perfect on this.
    Glad to know you've got a lot of work, that means more candies for us!!
    Thanks Ilanthar It was harder to do in pencil but more fun than doing it digitially.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I love the oversized castle and clouds to the north. I've been meaning to experiment with exaggerated elements like this myself and this piece is a great inspiration toward that end. Lovely work as always J.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh. I'll be happy to see them when you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As always, I'm short of words (especially in english...) to describe the beauty of your maps, included this last one..

I admire your skills, your imagination, all the ideas that you have to make your maps specials (clouds, castle, dragon....)

You are a true inspiration to me ! Thanks so much for sharing your work !

And, as a castle-fan, I add extra applauses for the castle of Shadir !!!!

again : thanks ! That the best I can say...
    Thank you JO That is a wonderful compliment.
    I have some more castle pieces planned, when time away from work allows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Just wonderful. Inspires me to want to get back at it which is great, cuz I need the inspiration since I'm low on energy for art lately.
    Thanks Jax I know what you mean. I hope it gets you going. I always enjoy your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Another beautiful piece. And completed in a single day! I dream of that level of output!

I agree with ladiestorm and thomrey: this map would fit just as perfectly into a Miyazaki film as it would in some ancient fairytale.

Your ability to not only consistently create great maps, but seemingly do so effortlessly, is a mystery to me...but a mystery I am keen to solve

THW
    Haha, well, thank you THW I had no idea it would come together quite so quickly.
    I was actually surprised that the pencil work took less time than the color.
    I thought it would be the other way round.
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Would love to just see the pencil drawing, once again inspiration and awe all in the same package
    Thanks snodsy
    I will try to upload a pencil version for you snodsy.
    Might get to that after all the comments here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This is a wonderful composition; you really have a great sense for how to lay out the image and how to meld the soft hand-pencil with the digital labels and color.

You must have a top-notch nice big scanner. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    Thanks jshoer I have a big scanner.. though.. it may not be top notch.
    But it does get the job done, so I can't complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Absolutely stunning. Would rep you twice if I could!
    Haha, thank you Klaus Once is more than enough, but I appreciate the sentiment as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akae View Post
    Really beautifull map! Amazing work <3
    Thanks so much Akae

And since snodsy asked about seeing a pencil version, I'll add that here.
    I kept the title text on there... since things have a way of migrating around the net....
    Just would rather have it migrate with the title on there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haldeshar [sketch] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	87669

That's lovely! It really shows the breakdown of how much detail you accomplish with line vs how much detail you accomplish with shading. There's a tutorial in here somewhere! Or maybe a master class.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Dude, that's amazing!!! Love the color palettes!
    So many details and awesome drawing!

Thanks for that pencil work ! More study ahead

Nice work! I left the pencil/scan for a Wacom cintiq but may return to it after seeing this. What kind of pen did you use? Also, have you made some subtle work on the background (outside the borders) or is that the paper?
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Guild Journeyer

It's amazing. There's a reason why I hold you as my biggest star around here.

Having that said, Im still lurking that city map.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, I particularly like the surround

Wow!! Another incredible map!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast