Thread: Maps from another world.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

I've been working on this map for a couple of weeks, and I've finally gotten it finished on Christmas Eve. I hope you all like it!

This map shows Germany's colonies in Mesocarolina (The Americas are called Carolina in this world, "Meso" just means "Middle" or "Central", so it's central America) and has some information on the demographics of the area. As in our timeline, almost all the native population has been wiped out. As it was Spain (in personal union with Portugal) that first found and colonised the Americas in this world, all of the colonies have hispanic majorities. Germany gained their various colonies through various means across the last two hundred years or so, leading to some colonies having far higher German populations than others.

Whilst it would appear that Germany is the dominant force in the Carribean, Britain has significant holdings in South Carolina (South America) and currently controls the Panama canal (built in 1878 in this timeline). Whilst there have been several proposals to construct a competing canal across Ometepea, no one has been able to find the support and funds to begin such a project, and Britain has inevitably done their best to prevent such an occurance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	German Central Americainkedup#dotnetpng.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	8662  

Very nice work.

For a realistic german effect, you must write "Demographie". That is the correct spelling in that years.

"Deutschlands Kolonien in Mesocarolina in 1910" must be written "...Mesocarolina im Jahre 1910".

Besides:
    "Demographie des Jana-Eilandes" >>> in German everytime with hyphen or connected "Janaeiland(es)".

"Demographie des Kalingoalandes"

"Demographe des Yukalandes"

"Demographie des Zawawalandes"

and

"Andere Europäische"

Only a little help, maybe you take it.
    Last edited by Ruedy; 12-23-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love getting fluent speakers to help me with the naming of things instead of relying on the "English to Sanskrit online translator robots".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I love getting fluent speakers to help me with the naming of things instead of relying on the "English to Sanskrit online translator robots".
    Oh yes, me too.
    For my italian-styled micronation I look for a native speaker since month...

I know the problems of the german speech and sometimes it's a difficult speech for the native speaker too.
    The rules are manifold and most of the germans don't know the most of it.

It's typical german to make it more complicated then it must be.
    You have one article "the". The germans must have three of it.
    The car, the tree, the washing machine
    Das Auto (neuter), Der Baum (masculine), Die Waschmaschine (feminine)...
    ... a washing mashine is feminine? Crazy, now you know, what the germans think about their wifes!

And every substantive big! You see it in my english writing. I do it mostly in english too.

Ok, it's not topic. Sorry...

If anybody wants help with German speech and culture, I'm always responsive!

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    Very nice work.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    For a realistic german effect, you must write "Demographie". That is the correct spelling in that years.

"Deutschlands Kolonien in Mesocarolina in 1910" must be written "...Mesocarolina im Jahre 1910".

Besides:
    "Demographie des Jana-Eilandes" >>> in German everytime with hyphen or connected "Janaeiland(es)".

"Demographie des Kalingoalandes"

"Demographe des Yukalandes"

"Demographie des Zawawalandes"

and

"Andere Europäische"

Only a little help, maybe you take it.
    I find that endlessly asking the few German speaking people I know for various translations can take some time, and it's far easier to just explain any incorrect spelling or grammar by claiming that German evolved differently in this world (which it most certainly did). Also, you failed to notice that "Eiland" isn't actually a German word (or, at least, I don't think it is).

Oh, Eiland ist a very German word...

In German it exists a very good adage for this situation.
    "Wer nicht will, der hat schon."
    Who does not want, has already...

I try to avoid helping you in german verbalism.