Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct 2016 Lite Challenge: The Knights of Camelot

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice work! It reminds me a little of tainotim's castles. Assume you'll be colouring it?
    Thanks ChickPea! Tainotim, along with a few others, was definitely one of the inspirations behind trying this style of map, so I'm pleased you like it!

I hope to colour it. I might try both and B&W and coloured version, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Looking good, I'd like to see the castle larger and shields smaller, unless those shields are going to be so awesome, that they are the hero's of the page
    Thanks snodsy! Yeah, I can definitely see what you mean. I'm hoping once the shield emblems are in there along with text about the corresponding knights that it will work. Still I'll play around and adding to what I said above, colour might really play a big part here.

Okay, not too much of an update, but the shields are illustrated now (with rough names next to them, so that I remember who's who ). Also, I've started detailing the top-down view.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camelot2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	88130

So far, everything looks great! Are these new images going Into the large, round map? Loved that castle btw!!! My only nitpick was the color of the text. The yellow on the base color makes it REALLY hard to see.

Other than that, fantastic job!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    So far, everything looks great! Are these new images going Into the large, round map? Loved that castle btw!!! My only nitpick was the color of the text. The yellow on the base color makes it REALLY hard to see.

Other than that, fantastic job!
    Thanks ladiestorm I'm really happy with how it's going at the moment!

I was planning to keep to rectangle edge for now, since it fits everything in nicely. As for the text, it's not at all final yet, though which bit did you find harder to read? (when colouring happens the yellow may or not stay anyway).

Oh, sorry! I was talking about the yellow title on the round map....if you've changed that, please disregard my comment. :-)

Sometimes I'm a bit behind!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Oh, sorry! I was talking about the yellow title on the round map....if you've changed that, please disregard my comment. :-)

Sometimes I'm a bit behind!
    Haha, no worries!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I've been reading about the period for my "real history" map, apparently by the 6th century face with Saxon invaders, the Britons rebuilt many of the old iron age forts abandoned centuries before, some with Roman-inspired stone towers but mostly with timber and thatch. So it's possible that the historic Arthur *did* have a pretty big castle, although its towers would only have been two stories high. One the one hand it's a shame we know so little about the period, and we don't know what they really did with those big iron age forts, whether they were towns or only places for defense in time of war. But knowing so little makes it more fun to speculate and fill the time period with fantasy tales

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    I've been reading about the period for my "real history" map, apparently by the 6th century face with Saxon invaders, the Britons rebuilt many of the old iron age forts abandoned centuries before, some with Roman-inspired stone towers but mostly with timber and thatch. So it's possible that the historic Arthur *did* have a pretty big castle, although its towers would only have been two stories high. One the one hand it's a shame we know so little about the period, and we don't know what they really did with those big iron age forts, whether they were towns or only places for defense in time of war. But knowing so little makes it more fun to speculate and fill the time period with fantasy tales
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess it's the same with most characters of myth and legend and their tales grow so much simply because of they are truly unknown and they are someone the tale can be attributed to. But what wonderful tales some of them are.

As for the castle, I did think about making it perhaps a bit more realistic to the time...buuuuuuut, then I thought I may as well go pretty far out and make it more magnificent and something that could properly fill the place in those legends!

A quick update from earlier with some basic splashes of colour here and there (not final) and I've started throwing some shadows on the castle.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camelot Castle of Shadows.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	88135

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Yes unfortunately a realistic castle of the era would be pretty much wood mud and straw, not very exciting visuals

Nice work with the coloring & shadows.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast